Best way to fix a broken screen (Moto G)

Associate
I've managed to slip over in the rain today at work and land smack bang on my Moto g. :mad:

The glass is cracked right across but the screen itself is undamaged.

I can only seem to find the parts from the USA and I'm looking at £63 with Delivery for the Screen + Digitizer together.

Anyone know of a UK supplier or if I can just buy the glass (Gorilla Glass 3?)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, seems mad to pay £63 for a phone that only cost me £110 (16gb version) a few weeks back.

Trouble is the digitizer is bonded to the actual screen assembly itself, it's very hard to remove, best option is a replacemen unfortunately :( sucks falling over sorry to hear that!

Associate
OP
Trouble is the digitizer is bonded to the actual screen assembly itself, it's very hard to remove, best option is a replacemen unfortunately :( sucks falling over sorry to hear that!

Thanks, I feared that might be the case. I don't really have the expertise to replace it myself (or at least be confident enough not to make it worse).

Will ask around a few phone repair companies but it looks like I might just have to live with it, can't afford to replace the phone after only buying it last month!

Luckily I'm ok, just a grazed knee, sadly the phone took the brunt of the impact! :(

Associate
OP
For such a cheap phone, I'd just buy another and sell the broken one. people pay silly money for broken phones.

There are two on ebay for £12 or so with 2 days left, so not really enough to enable me to buy a new phone.

I'm tempted to buy one and try and replace the screen myself but can't find any guides online and no idea how hard it would be to do?

Associate
OP
It's just a matter of a few screws then removing the ribbon cable/s connecting to the mainboard.

Is it that simple even with the built in battery etc? I've not seen any teardown videos online that go as far as to show the screen etc.

I'm also worried that I could buy a broken phone off ebay and find that the screen doesn't work or I can't fit it/break it and then I've wasted my money.

Think I'll wait to get a few quotes back and if not just leave it with a broken screen for a few months until I can afford to replace it.

Associate
I'm sure it will pretty much the same as the Moto X teardown, as it's practically the same phone but it's bigger brother.

If you can get a broken one cheap enough with a working screen, then I'd say give it a go mate you're be alright if you just remember where it all goes and are careful with it, beats paying full whack for a new one, I feel for you man I know what it's like dropping nice phones and smashing the screens I done it to my nokia n95, iphone 3/4 and galaxy s3 lol so yeah it ********

Last edited:

Mp4

Mp4

Soldato
doh on falling over :( and its always a pain when breaking any phone.

As the G is so cheap id just replace the unit and sell the other on ebay

Associate
I'm not sure if I am allow to revive a post which is a few months old but I will do this instead of posting a new thread.

So I have as well dropped my Moto G phone and the glass/screen broke but it is still 100% functional as far as the screen looks and the touch input.

Still, I would like to fix it, and I would try doing it on my own so I was wondering which is it that I need to buy.

Do I only need to replace the touch screen, by buying this item for example:

Code:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Outer-Front-Touch-Screen-Lens-Glass-For-Motorola-Moto-G-XT1032-XT1036-UK-/400729683541?pt=UK_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item5d4d59b655

Or do I need to buy the whole LCD display, by buying this item for example:

Code:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-LCD-Display-Screen-Touch-Digitizer-For-Motorola-XT1032-MOTO-G-XT1032-/171282538987?pt=UK_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item27e13c21eb

There is also the third option of replacing just the glass lens without the digitizer touch screen, as the following description goes but it seems that this would be the most difficult one to replace:
Code:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/U-Outer-Screen-Lens-Glass-Digitizer-Replace-For-Motorola-Moto-G-XT1032-XT1036-/171324116319?pt=UK_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item27e3b68d5f

Which replacement will not be a solution to my problem and from all three, which is less trickier to install than the others?

Thanks for the help!

Back
Top Bottom