Wifi tethering on Three

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Ok. So I discovered after taking out my three contract with unlimited data that they do not allow tethering. This is a really bad inconvenience for me as I spend time at my friends who does not have home internet.

Anyway I setup a vpn on my router at home which I connect to on my phone, and with the use of clockwork tether, I can tether my phone via usb to the laptop and it works fine. No issues there.
the problems start when I try to tether wirelessly. I get no internet access. If I connect my 3DS to my phone, I can access the eshop and can connect to the nintendo network, but when I try to play online on mario kart for instance, I get disconnected.

Im assuming wifi tethering requires more than just enabling it on my phone, like it does with usb tethering.
Does anyone know how to solve this issue and could they possibly guide me through how to do it? I'm assuming there is a way to direct wifi connections through my VPN...

My phone is a Galaxy Note 3 btw.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Associate
Download and install cyberghost VPN, gets round the tethering block over wifi for a friend of mine when he tethers to his laptop through an android wifi hotspot.

For the record three block his tethering when he's not using cyberghost VPN

Cheers

Associate
OP
Download and install cyberghost VPN, gets round the tethering block over wifi for a friend of mine when he tethers to his laptop through an android wifi hotspot.

For the record three block his tethering when he's not using cyberghost VPN

Cheers
Is cyberghost vpn an app? I can't seem to find it on the play store

Permabanned
I found using a free proxy browser app on the machine you use this gets round the Three.co.uk website redirect. With WiFi tethering too desktop sites are restricted they know you are viewing them, sometimes if I tether to my Galaxy Tab I get restricted when using Chrome.

Also they Slooooow it down too, when I tether after about 30 mins the speed drops both on my phone and tablet to less than 10 K/bps I have to reset my data and it shoots back up to 25+Mbps.

Associate
OP
Apparently the only way I can user Cyberghost vpn is through the OpenVPN app, which requires me to pay a subscription fee. No good to me since I can't even test weather or not it will solve my problem

Associate
I believe tethering is allowed on all deals that do not have all-you-can-eat data, except the One Plan

I have all you can eat data and it works fine, even though it's not allowed, they do catch on though and block tethering if you take the **** and use loads of data, it happened to my mate.

Associate
OP
Ah well, it doesn't work for me. I instantly get the "tethering detected" page. It's fine if im connected to my VPN at home though. I just need to find a way to get wifi tethered connections to access the internet too, so I can play my 3DS when im out and about. I don't plan on using a lot of data

Associate
You don't need to install cyberghost on your phone, simply download the software onto your PC or laptop and install it onto windows.

Activate your wifi hotspot on your phone the connect to your laptop. Open cyberghost client on your laptop and connect to their VPN server before opening your browser and three can't see what your using to browse with and you shouldnt get blocked.

Cheers

Last edited:
Caporegime
I've seen lots of posts about tethering being not allowed and the like.
My Dad on his Tmobile with his Sony phone can tether perfectly fine (Through the OS, no extra app's etc, just turn the phone into a portable hotspot)

Did the same on my Three, did the same on my girlfriends Virgin 3G on her S3.

In all three cases tethering wasn't "allowed" but it worked flawless each and every time no messing about.

Hell, my Dad doesn't have a home connection so he just uses his Tmobile 3G 24/7.

I'd be surprised if you couldn't just activate your phone as a hotspot just through Android to be honest.

Associate
Direct from Three's terms and conditions regarding tethering:

http://www.three.co.uk/Privacy_Cookies/Terms_Conditions?site=d&content_aid=1220469566802

Terms & Conditions.
> All-you-can-eat data - Explained

All you can eat data allows you to use as much as the Internet or consumer as much data as you wish without worrying about the cost or having to search for hidden and unfair “fair use policies”.

If your smartphone plan includes all you can eat data, then this is for data consumption actually on your smartphone. It does not include using your smartphone as a modem to connect other devices such as laptops and tablets – also known as “Tethering”. Tethering is included in (i) The One Plan; (ii) the One Plan SIM only; or (iii) By purchasing an Ultimate Internet Plan with the Tethering Add on. The add-on can be purchased via My3 on your handset and is also available to customers on our Talk and Text plans.

Are you an existing customer on any of our pay monthly plans (except our Essential Internet 200 plan)? You can get All You Can Eat Data for the remainder of your contract at an additional cost of £3 per month.

Does all you can eat data come with any limits? The limit is how much your device can consume – if you were to actively use data or the Internet on your phone every second, of every day, in every month (and we would be worried if you were !!!!) you would, subject to the current traffic management requirements (which vary from time to time), use up to 1000GB per month. So in essence there is a limit of how much data you can actually consume which is up to 1000GB. All this means that you can have absolute peace of mind and enjoy all the internet you need on your smartphone, without worrying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom