plumbing : fog horn toilet

Associate
After my neighbour flushes his toilet it makes a long drawn out groan that sounds like a ships fog horn. Sometimes it lasts for 30 seconds.

Does anyone know what causes this?

Soldato
I would also like to know this, I think its to do with pressure in the system or something along those lines, possibly something that needs releasing or bleeding

Ours does this, the only way to stop it is to turn on the cold tap really quickly until the flushing stops, never actually got round to having a look online

Associate
Mine did this and it turned out to be the rubber diaphram in the fill valve. I took it out and cleaned it and the problems went away for a while (a year give or take).

The groaning came back recently so I might just buy a replacement this time.

Associate
Change inlet valve in toilet or for now play with the stopcock as adjusting the pressure can give you a few months grace.

Imy

Imy

Soldato
Mine did this and was VERY loud. Worse still, it did it in the bathroom that's used by guests only.

Replacing the water inlet valve fixed the problem. The new one also fills faster and has a vertical float rather than a ball one so takes up far less space.

xf0f.jpg

Associate
I do enjoy coming on these forums and being greeted with pictures of people's cisterns.
My throne does this all the time, I just turn on the cold tap and it seems to hush the incoming shipping vessel sound.

Soldato
It is high water pressure in the pipe. They just need to turn the screw thing on it (don't know what it is called the bit that can turn the water off) a little to slow the water going into the cistern.

Soldato
If it turns off with a screwdriver its called a service valve..

the noise is generated because of the breakdown of the cisterns valve.. if you service it, it'll stop..

Back
Top Bottom