• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Helping AMD fix their drivers, again.

Associate
*ONLY RELEVANT TO AMD GPU AND CPU USERS*

This definitely affects 14.1beta users, and may have been missed for a few releases, only you can check your own system

Having battled random restarts and lockups, I did some investigating and discovered that AMD's 'FUEL' service is broken. Lots of '7000' errors in the event viewer gave me a massive clue. The fuel service is failing to load 'aoddriver2.sys' for some reason.

A quick search located the file at C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Fuel (win7 x64). So I dug further.

A quick search in regedit for 'aoddriver2' brought up one particular entry.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Components\8B36EFCF4BFB4B5409AFA3109173FDFE I found a directory entry for the driver.
A simple AMD typo has made this read 'C?\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Fuel\amd64\aoddriver2.sys'.

Did you spot the question mark? That entry should be 'C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Fuel\amd64\aoddriver2.sys'.

Your keys may be different from mine, so if you can't find it search the registry for 'aoddriver2'. It should be the first first result but check them all.

I don't know how this would affect anyone who actually uses the AMD Overdrive software, but as the 'FUEL' service is auto start without AOD and I was getting the errors I assume everyone's AMD drivers use it by default. I never activated AOD.

No more '7000' errors!! :D

btw, this error can also be a cause for afterburner crashes.

Last edited:
Caporegime
This definitely affects 14.1beta users, and may have been missed for a few releases, only you can check your own system

Having battled random restarts and lockups, I did some investigating and discovered that AMD's 'FUEL' service is broken. Lots of '7000' errors in the event viewer gave me a massive clue. The fuel service is failing to load 'aoddriver2.sys' for some reason.

A quick search located the file at C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Fuel (win7 x64). So I dug further.

A quick search in regedit for 'aoddriver2' brought up one particular entry.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Components\8B36EFCF4BFB4B5409AFA3109173FDFE I found a directory entry for the driver.
A simple AMD typo has made this read 'C?\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Fuel\amd64\aoddriver2.sys'.

Did you spot the question mark? That entry should be 'C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Fuel\amd64\aoddriver2.sys'.

Your keys may be different from mine, so if you can't find it search the registry for 'aoddriver2'. It should be the first first result but check them all.

I don't know how this would affect anyone who actually uses the AMD Overdrive software, but as the 'FUEL' service is auto start without AOD and I was getting the errors I assume everyone's AMD drivers use it by default. I never activated AOD.

No more '7000' errors!! :D

btw, this error can also be a cause for afterburner crashes.

Good spot. Use the links in my sig to report it. :)

Associate
OP
Reporting it, though like I said I'm not sure how long this has been missed, may be a few releases affected.

*edit*

Slap me round the face, could this fix the standby/hibernate issuse that have been reported?
Will test

Last edited:
Caporegime
Reporting it, though like I said I'm not sure how long this has been missed, may be a few releases affected.

*edit*

Slap me round the face, could this fix the standby/hibernate issuse that have been reported?
Will test

Not aware of such an issue and use sleep mode myself a fair bit on Windows 8.1 64bit with no problems thus far. Tested on 13.11 Beta 9.2 and 13.12 WHQL.

Associate
OP
Was the error in the other drivers too?

My machine would crash if I restarted folding after a standby. Resumes fine now so maybe the 'fuel' service is part of that. Don't know if it's conincidence but instead of taking a few seconds to load gadgets and settle my desktop is now instantly ready for use.

Soldato
The typo is present in 13.1 (don't judge me, it's a work PC and one of our tools has a fit with any newer driver).

It's showing under a slightly different path on my PC - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Components\0106DBF99D4D13B4EB27C805FBEAC62\32FA0F2EF2EF2224A934556EC34CE11F - but a quick search for "C?\Prog" flagged it up straight away.

Nice spot Ripshod. :)

Associate
OP
13.1? And it's never been brought to our attention or fixed?

I must have too much spare time on my hands lol

Not aware of such an issue

I'll retract that statement. Seems peeps have been going standby with GPU folding running. My bad!

Last edited:
Soldato
I thought the fuel service was for their legacy drivers only? I only had it on the one machine running old hardware, and aoddriver2.sys doesn't exist at all on my system that's never had legacy drivers AFAICR.

Associate
OP
Fresh install on the 13.12whql and the 14.1 betas (those tests took a full day) and that file is installed. May be just because my mobo and processor are AMD?

Can anyone running an intel CPU confirm this? Last thing anyone wants to do is give bad info ;)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Maybe not. But I still had this problem with the 13.12s.

It's been noted elsewhere in regards to win 8 and power states too:
http://www.eightforums.com/bsod-cra...-failure-windows-8-pro-64-bit.html#post229244

AMD OverDrive (AODDriver2.sys) is either a stand-alone application, or a component of the AMD VISION Engine Control Center. This driver is known to cause BSOD's on some Windows systems.

Probably cos the driver couldn't be found (Error '7000')?

If you just install the bare drivers without ccc, and never use AOD or afterburner you may never see this error.

Also to note, so long as you're not using overdrive or afterburner it's safe to just disable the fuel service.

Last edited:
Soldato
AMD VISION is definitely part of the legacy driver release. I always saw in on the install for the older PC, never for the newer one. Both were Intel based CPUs with AMD GPUs.

Soldato
AMD Vision is CCC afaik. Name and layout change came at the same time it went from ATI to AMD as a general company.

If you install the legacy drivers from a few months back, it installs as AMD vision. If you install current drivers, you get CCC, even though they pretty much look alike.

Associate
OP
I also remeber the day AMD moved the graphic drivers to the catalyst installer. Everyone was asking why the motherboard drivers were installing cos that's what the catalysts were associated with. Had to adjust a few people on that one. Everyone thought the world had ended, or AMD had got mixed up (delete what doesn't apply)

CCC is the old Vision CC with a new GUI by the way.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
OP adjusted accordingly, thanx ;)

There is an easy fix by disabling the 'fuel' service. But it was provided to me by AMD as part of a package, and I'm OCD about things just workin!!

Last edited:
Associate
Seems to be very common typo, or is there a different explanation?
A regedit search on my desktop found this:
C?\Windows\SysWOW64\MSCOMCTL.OCX
C?\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
C?\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\PhysX\Engine\v2.5.0\PhysXCooking.dll (guess that's CPU PhysX)
C?\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\80\COM\sqlvdi.dll
C?\Program Files (x86)\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\Welcome\ko\images\welcome_generic.jpg
C?\windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\Microsoft.VisualBasic.Vsa.dll

plus a whole lot more. Looking at US vs UK keyboard layout doesn't give any clues as that key is the same. The obvious question: is there a keyboard layout which has ':' and '?' on the same key? Or why are there tons of programmers making the same mistake?

Also tried searching for C?\ in this almost unused Win7 VM: nothing.

Back
Top Bottom