Windows XP SP4?

Associate
Once most MS Windows XP support ends is there any chance they will release a SP4 which includes all the updates etc in one package?

I ask as I've been looking into how to create a XP 'slipstream' (re)install disc post support ending as backup in case I ever need to (re)install XP. It seems like a hell of a lot of faff to do this, even just finding out how/where to get all the update files required to the make the disc is a hassle.

If MS were to make a WinXP SP4 available it might at least assuage some of the anger of those who want to maintain a XP OS on their computers for whatever reason.

Soldato
You are better off upgrading to a newer OS,XP is more or less dead and Microsoft want to kill it off soon as possible(I don't blame them).

Plenty of alternatives out there both free and paid.

Associate
OP
But I have software and so on designed for a 32bit OS and any number of games that are easy to run on XP either because of its own backwards compatibility or because it was the OS of the time. Even with Win7's virtual XP and other alternatives I just don't see the point of throwing away something that still works well and has been paid for.

I'm not saying I want to use XP for everything, I'm building a Win7 64bit based machine to take over as my main computer but I'm not going to dump my old laptop, which can't run anything more than XP, just because MS want me to make them richer.

Wanting to keep that going as long and as easily as possible is not unreasonable.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
If you really are going to need to reinstall XP in the future, then get WSUS Offline Update and download all the updates with that. It gives you the option of making an ISO image that you can then burn to disc. Once you've got a fresh install of XP on you can pop that disc in and set it updating.

Soldato
nope. from what ive read there isnt even going to be another service pack for 7 as its a waste of their engineers resources.

which is handy because we're now at around 170 updates post sp1 for 7.

Soldato
But I have software and so on designed for a 32bit OS and any number of games that are easy to run on XP either because of its own backwards compatibility or because it was the OS of the time. Even with Win7's virtual XP and other alternatives I just don't see the point of throwing away something that still works well and has been paid for.

I'm not saying I want to use XP for everything, I'm building a Win7 64bit based machine to take over as my main computer but I'm not going to dump my old laptop, which can't run anything more than XP, just because MS want me to make them richer.

Wanting to keep that going as long and as easily as possible is not unreasonable.

Most gamers like myself moved on,I upgraded my software and use free software like DOSBOX(D-Fend Reloaded ) for old DOS games(90s games) in Win8.1.

End of the day whatever software you have there's a pretty good chance of modern alternative and maybe free as well,yes part is down to money but as a gamer upgrading etc is part of it.

Btw you can run 32 bit software on 64 bit OS you know.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for the suggestions and links, most very useful.

From the autopatcher forum I actually found a link to another forum where some brave soul and various others have in fact been working on a WinXP SP4 since last year.

That does indicate there are many others out there who don't think it is a stupid idea either.

It would just be an unexpectedly pleasant sign off for XP if MS themselves recognised that with 30% of the world's computers still running XP their customers deserve at least a gesture of support like the provision of a Final XP SP.

Soldato
It would just be an unexpectedly pleasant sign off for XP if MS themselves recognised that with 30% of the world's computers still running XP their customers deserve at least a gesture of support like the provision of a Final XP SP.

By all reasonable standards XP users have had more than their fair share of support. Way more.

At this point in its lifecycle any indignation surrounding the cessation of updates has more to do with unrealistic customer expectations than a lack of support gestures.

I can't think of a scenario where Microsoft would want to encourage people to do a fresh install of XP by making it more convenient to do so. Therefore I wouldn't get my hopes up for a final service pack.

It would be a reckless move anyway considering that there is almost certainly a high proportion of XP boxes out there running for compatibility reasons.

Soldato
I'm banking on someone creating an unofficial sp4 once support ends. Still a handy os to have, for a cheap quick file server at home

Probably get unofficial SP4 full of malware too, think I rather stick with Linux for my ex-XP PC needs and obviously newer Windows for my Windows needs on my other PCs.

Associate
By all reasonable standards XP users have had more than their fair share of support. Way more.

Precisely. The support deadline has been extended several times, most hardware running XP is well out of date, and they were very open a long way in advance about when they were ending support!!

Half the problem is that some large companies (and schools) refused to move past xp because they have useless IT staff that refuse to get with the times and move over to something new.

why would anyone choose xp over 7

Some home grown programs and other older programs still only work on XP. Also because of the fact that it is a capable OS at web browsing and at actually operating a computer, some people just do not see the need to change.

Ideally everyone would be running on Windows 7 and up now, but not everyone wants to stay up to date.

Back
Top Bottom