GTX 750 Ti

Soldato
So...

How many of you keep an eye out for low profile cards?

I do but I ignore the crazier low production stuff from the east which has massive power consumption and should never have been low profiled.

I started on a 5570, changed to a 6750 and I've just bought a 750 Ti and those have been more or less the best low profile cards available at the time.

The 7750 has not been a viable upgrade to the 6750 which is why I didn't bother, difference is marginal at best.

Now you can compare them roughly here:

5570 vs 6750
http://www.hwcompare.com/5588/radeon-hd-5570-vs-radeon-hd-6750-1gb/

6750 vs GTX 750 Ti
http://www.hwcompare.com/17359/geforce-gtx-750-ti-vs-radeon-hd-6750-1gb/

6750 to 750 Ti is going to lose me 26w and gain about 40% performance

In a case the size of a lunchbox this is amazing stuff.

Small problem which won't be everyones cup of tea is that just like the 6750 the 750 Ti has a double slot cooler and I have a single slot of space.

That's going to become a single slot cooler with no fan using my power supply for airflow but warranty and resale value are written off.

GTx 750 Ti @ OCUK : http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-058-KF

Associate
I'm considering one of these to stick in my HTPC for sofa gaming sessions - I think the double height cooler would be ok but apparently the card doesn't come with a low profile bracket so I'd have to get that separately.

Associate
I'm considering one of these to stick in my HTPC for sofa gaming sessions - I think the double height cooler would be ok but apparently the card doesn't come with a low profile bracket so I'd have to get that separately.

I asked customer support was told that the card does in fact come with a bracket.

Associate
Just subscribing to this thread. I've been waiting for a decent low profile GPU for a while. Would be great in my HTPC for some sofa gaming!

Soldato
OP
I am going to emphasise that I have had to with my 6750 and I will also have to with the 750 Ti, cut the heatsink down to get it into my case.

2 slot coolers do not naturally fit 1 slot spaces. The only reason I bother is because it faces the PSU fan which can do double duty instead of the original GPU fan.

Apart from that it's a Jou Jye 528i with an internal 220-250W PSU (mine was 220, now its 250).

Card just arrived.

Two things:

1: Heatsink is solid extruded aluminium so its amazingly heavy for its size
2: Cheapskates really didn't include a low profile bracket for the low profile card...

Update:

750ti.jpg

Two things:

1: It's 4/5 the length of the 6750 (yay)
2: It doesn't require a power connector like the 6750 (yay)

So it will take up less space, decrease cable clutter, improve airflow, draw less power and generate less heat

(yay)

Update:

I've checked the card is working, now marked out the heatsink to be cut and filed down:

image.jpg

Lose about half the surface area but that doesn't mean double the temps.

Instead of the original 40mm fan it will be about 1mm away (I mean this, I removed the fan guard to make more space) from a 80mm fan on the PSU.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Carved the fins off then ground and sanded it flat:

hs1.jpg

Still not finished, needs to be 0.5-1mm lower. Test fit failed and by failed I mean it physically cannot fit into the pcie slot due to touching the psu.

Permabanned
Have the GALAXY GeForce GTX 750 Ti GC Slim and it's mind blowing how powerful this is! Am needed these to drive 3 screens running different content.

Systems are

i7
8GB
64GB SSD
ITX mobo
SFX PSU

PC fit within a sheet of A4

Soldato
12.5 x 2.5 x 6.2 inches PNY NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 1GB GDDR5 2DVI/Mini-HDMI PCI-Express Video Card VCGGTX6501XPB

2.8 x 8 x 10.2 inches Zotac GeForce GTX 650 1 GB GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 DVI HDMI VGA Low Profile Graphics Card ZT-61008-10M

So the LP is higher than the none LP, how can it be considerd low profile?

Associate
The height doesn't really indicate anything to do with whether it is low profile or not its the fact you can fit a low profile bracket which omits the VGA plug and so can fit into cases that don't have full length brackets.

Soldato
OP
Another 0.5-1mm of sanding later...

hs2.jpg

Aaaand it fits:

hs3.jpg

Need to go and get some TIM and sort out the fan system. Because of reasons the PSU fan is controlled by the GPU header so there's a fan cable from the PSU that needs to be plugged into the card :)

I'm entirely sure this is now the smallest 750 Ti anywhere. Low profile, single slot and extremely short to boot :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
That is odd.

Both have thermal sensors but because the fan is sandwiched between them you have to decide which one gets the heat from the other dumped on it.

You then have to use the hottest parts sensor to control the fan.

The PSU is taking in air and blowing over the GPU heatsink which controls the fan speed.

Just installed Afterburner to regulate the fan because it is set to cap out at 52% by default which is unacceptable when temps went up to 80 while testing.

Soldato
OP
/sadpanda

This 750 Ti has a HDMI and DVI-D output (there was a VGA but that is part of the full height assembly)

I use this small computer to run an equally small 15" monitor so the entire lot is actually not theoretically portable in one medium backpack.

Said monitor is VGA only.

Never had to come across the issue before but DVI-D and HDMI won't talk to VGA, previous card was DVI-I which would.

Need to get a £20 active adapter in to get an analogue signal out of the digital ports now :<

Works fine tho, tested on my main screen :)

Soldato
OP
Temps are fine, more like laptop than desktop temperatures but below 80 when heavily loaded is realistic with 40's idle.

Main issue will always be airflow but it's adequate.

Back
Top Bottom