• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Dual MSI Gtx 780 or single MSI Gtx 780ti ??

Associate
I will be building my first gaming rig this year and I am wondering.. which one is better for both gaming and every day use.
A) Dual MSI GTX 780 Gaming edition
or
B)Single MSI GTX 780ti Gaming edition.

What do you guys think?
Also, I do not have experience with overclocking and such but I would love to pull everything out of either of these cards.

Associate
As above, 780 SLI is faster than a single 780Ti. However I'd also say go for a single 780Ti or Non-Ti and see how you get on. Less heat, less noise etc.

Associate
OP
I was also thinking about getting the single 780Ti as I want this build to last me for at least 2-3 years without having to change any expensive parts to it. Having a single 780Ti will allow me to add one more later on when it won't run everything on max settings and have two of them in sli. :)

Soldato
I'd go for two 780's , I wouldnt be hoping to find a second 780ti in 2-3 years and be assuming they would still max settings

Associate
As i have tried multi cards in both sli and crossfire i have to say sticking with one strong gpu is better then two okay gpu's too many games dont have the right sli/crosffire performance at launch or have a stutter problem or crash not to mention less heat less power and less money.

So i would say for your build go 780gtx ti especially seeming as it is your first.

Associate
OP
As i have tried multi cards in both sli and crossfire i have to say sticking with one strong gpu is better then two okay gpu's too many games dont have the right sli/crosffire performance at launch or have a stutter problem or crash not to mention less heat less power and less money.

So i would say for your build go 780gtx ti especially seeming as it is your first.

You have a very good point here and that is what I will actually do. Later on i will just change the card and that's it, not struggle with games not responding well.

Associate

One Strong gpu may be better than two okay gpu's but I think I'd class two 780's as a little more than okay.

Associate
Got both of them and either one will fit your needs and will be able to handle your games :D ! I just installed 2x MSI GTX 780Ti Gaming 3G today.
Going SLI with GTX 780 will definetely be faster - thinking of GTX 780Ti SLI over GTX 780 SLi isn't really worth it - I would know because I just took 2x GTX 780 out today and put 2x GTX780Ti's in there.

Associate
Depending on the 780s you buy, you'd be hard pressed to notice the difference between them and 780tis. I found tri-sli 780s were the sweetspot and actually run smoother than 2-way SLI in games and benches. Cost less than 2 780tis too.

Associate
OP
Depending on the 780s you buy, you'd be hard pressed to notice the difference between them and 780tis. I found tri-sli 780s were the sweetspot and actually run smoother than 2-way SLI in games and benches. Cost less than 2 780tis too.

I find this very interesting but as I have a budget of £1800-£1900 including the monitor, keyboard and mouse I need to get the best out of the best for this sum of money.

Permabanned
I hope you don't mind me adding this post to this thread but I did not want to start a fresh one and it might interest you as a pair of 6gb 780's will improve the shelf life quite a bit over 3gb versions of the 780 or ti.

At Computex MSI had 6gb versions of there 780 gaming card on show. Is there a known date for when they may become available to us here?

Last edited:
Soldato
I hope you don't mind me adding this post to this thread but I did not want to start a fresh one and it might interest you.

At Computex MSI had 6gb versions of there 780 gaming card on show. Is there a known date for when they may become available to us here?

To be honest, as a 2 x Ti owner, I would probably rather have 2 of the new 6gb 780's as I think Vram limitations are already becoming worryingly apparent. So I would wait a bit if I were you (or are they out already?)

Lazy ports, bad coding I know, yadda yadda, but it's already happening and Vram limitations will only get worse.

Permabanned
To be honest, as a 2 x Ti owner, I would probably rather have 2 of the new 6gb 780's as I think Vram limitations are already becoming worryingly apparent. So I would wait a bit if I were you (or are they out already?)

Lazy ports, bad coding I know, yadda yadda, but it's already happening and Vram limitations will only get worse.

I think it's only happening on a few games. I would say imho 3 gb cards are fine for a while yet. Only having issues with AAA+++ titles. Not many of those atm. No reason to put fear into people to buying 6gb 780 cards. I think if Nv was smart they would release a GTX 790 with 8gb for cheaper then Titan Black that would be the card to get. Say £649 I would get one in a sec.

Soldato
Surely this depends on what resolution the op is intending to run? Everyone suggesting he buys two 780's without even asking this question sound a bit daft tbh.

For example at 1080P 60Hz a single 780ti would be more than adequate along with being less noisy and consuming less power. You've always got the option to double up later on down the line to.

Associate
OP
Surely this depends on what resolution the op is intending to run? Everyone suggesting he buys two 780's without even asking this question sound a bit daft tbh.

For example at 1080p 60hz a single 780ti would be more than adequate along with being less noisy and consuming less power. You've always got the option to double up later on down the line to.

I've been reading through these new posts and I really don't know what to say haha XD. I will be running the games and everything else at a normal resolution of 1920 x 1080 (60hz) and all im looking for is to perform well in the next gen games like bf4 , war thunder, titanfall and such. At least 70fps in all of them on maxed out setting because I will be adding another card for an SLI later on.

Permabanned

For example at 1080P 60Hz a single 780ti would be more than adequate along with being less noisy and consuming less power. You've always got the option to double up later on down the line to.

Why is it daft to suggest a pair of 780's over a 780 ti when he's asking about those two options?

The pair of 780's wasn't just thrown about out of the blue he specifically mentioned it.

Also your saying about having the option to double up later on down the line, Well how about having the option to also go high res later on down the line? In order to keep as many options available with minimal additional costs in the future a 6gb 780 which does not have a big premium over a 3gb model makes sense.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom