Why does sunscreen have VAT on it?

Permabanned
As a somewhat white skinned person I have to use a decent amount of sunscreen to avoid burning when enjoying a day out. Is it right that I should have to pay VAT on something that will (hopefully) protect me from getting melanoma?

Caporegime
As a somewhat white skinned person I have to use a decent amount of sunscreen to avoid burning when enjoying a day out. Is it right that I should have to pay VAT on something that will (hopefully) protect me from getting melanoma?

I guess the rational is that you can stay in the shade and wear long sleeve clothing and a sun hat, avoid going out in the mid day sun etc., all of which is likely much healthier.

Sitting on a sunbed by a pool etc. is not something that should entice VAT savings but many outdoor sports could be seen as a benefit. The bigger question is should things like hiking boots, sports clothes and equipment etc etc. be VAT free? In general it is in the government's best interest toi have people partaking in lots of sports. Biut this opens up so many gray area questions (is darts a sport worthy of being omitted from VAT?)

Last edited:
Caporegime
A day out is a luxury. When I were a lad we just rubbed on a bit of waste chip fat from the fish'n'chip shop down the road, no VAT on that.

chip fat, what luxury!. When I was a lad we had to cover ourselves in cold mud from next to our out-house Although the coal dust form being down the mine for 32 hours every single day helped a bit, but after our bi-monthly bath we would have to lather up in cold stinking mud.

Soldato
. The bigger question is should things like hiking boots, sports clothes and equipment etc etc. be VAT free? In general it is in the government's best interest toi have people partaking in lots of sports.

Chavs tend to wear sports clothes in the name of some god awful warped view on fashion. I would despise them getting a taxbreak on this.

However JD would love the increase in sales.

Man of Honour
chip fat, what luxury!. When I was a lad we had to cover ourselves in cold mud from next to our out-house Although the coal dust form being down the mine for 32 hours every single day helped a bit, but after our bi-monthly bath we would have to lather up in cold stinking mud.

Cold mud, what a luxury! When I was a lad the only fruit we had all year long was an orange. We had it at Chrismas time. It had to be shared by my ten bothers and sisters, the rest of the family and had to last until the New Year. We were the lucky ones as the folks next door had to share a date.

Last edited:
Associate
VAT on sunscreen is silly but could be because its not classed as medication/contraception/disability aids, etc that is excluded, plus its self-administered and bought privately.

If it's prescribed by a doctor this is also excluded, VAT isn't excluded when you're admitted as an in-patient.

A pharmacist could better explain some of these points, if they have a few minutes to spare please give your thoughts.

OcUK Staff

A bath? Twice a month? Luxury. We had to roll in a puddle and wipe ourselves down with nettles. Still we were happier then, though we were poor.

Associate
Cold mud, what a luxury! When I was a lad the only fruit we had all year long was an orange. We had it at Christmas time. It had to be shared by my ten bothers and sisters, the rest of the family and had to last until the New Year. We were the lucky ones as the folks next door had to share a date.

Christmas!?

Back
Top Bottom