Draytek 120 and Asus 87U problems

Permabanned
I have these two devices and im trying to set them up on plusnet.

My understanding is that the draytek is pppoa and therefore when I am logged into the router I tell the router to be pppoe to the draytek. This involves using my plusnet user and pass, which i am double checking on the connection on which i am writing this using my old combined modem/router, so thats not the problem. Any idea what Im doing wrong? All lights are ok on the draytek, just a red blob on the asus under the intertnet light.

Caporegime
The DrayTek should come set up out of the box to "just work". Try resetting it if you are unsure whether it's been messed around with.

I'm assuming the Vigor 120 is showing sync? Are you sure you have the PPPoE details correct?

Permabanned
OP
I never know what they say when they say "work out of the box" as you still have to put the ISP info into the router?

THe draytek lights as shown on mine are:

1. POWER - ON
2. ACT - blinking, which means ready and working normally
3.LAN - ON
4.DSL - ON

Yes ive tripled checked pppoe ddetails (although of course plusnet needs pppoa (i just understand that because you are connecting with the draytek, I am connecting using pppoe to the draytek then the draytek takes the pppoa details from my router when communicating with ISP right?

PPPOA is not an option in my router set up

Caporegime
No, you don't need to put any details into the DrayTek modem at all, the only configuration comes from the Asus router.

Try connecting the modem directly to your PC/Mac and dialling a PPPoE connection.

Soldato
A V120 will normally give DHCP out in the range 192.168.2.x and be on 192.168.2.1. IIRC, there's no username/password to login to it to check the ADSL stats.

Soldato
Ignore the Internet light on the V120 - I've never seen it lit when using one in PPPoA/PPPoE.

I don't think the V120 needs the Windows utility to upgrade the firmware - it can be done via the web GUI (usual IP as above). That said, AFAIK the firwmare has been updated for a while so a new V120 should be current.

Permabanned
OP
but isn't it perculiar that it doesn't show up as something I can select using that utility? I will try and log into the modem tonight with the IP addres you mention there. How are we ever supposed to know what IP to use? I don't know if this (unclear) phone shot is helpful, but it shows the results of an IR Release/Renew

http://i61.tinypic.com/1218kl2.jpg

Soldato
Your PC is expecting a DHCP server to be available to issue it with an IP address. It can't find a DHCP server so has auto assigned itself an IP address starting with .169.

It could be a problem with the Vigor (assuming is does have a DHCP server) or with the connectivity from the PC.

• Try a different network cable.
  • Try assigning a manual IP address (e.g. 192.168.2.100, 255.255.255.0).

Associate
Hi, i can see at earlier screenshot is mentioned vigor 120 v1
Under the modem (the sticker) has any version number? or is just vigor? (example vigor v2)

Back
Top Bottom