• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

970's having performance issues using 4GB Vram - Nvidia investigating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
EDIT BY GIBBO: OcUK & Caseking Decision, read post 5028!!
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=27557332&postcount=5028

http://www.overclock.net/t/1535502/gtx-970s-can-only-use-3-5gb-of-4gb-vram-issue/170#post_23443729

Hmm, this looks concerning. It appears performance of the 970 nosedives inexplicably when using over 3.5gb of VRam (Bandwidth drops to 20GB/s!) and causes major performance issues.

I was just about to pull the trigger on two, might give it a while to see how this pans out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Hmm, this looks concerning.

You are a brave laddie, could have posted this a few weeks back, but it would have been deemed a cardinal sin.:)

Hopefully the Nvidia forum won't be hacked:p and Nvidia don't go full stealth mode on the matter.

Lets hope the 970 can get back to maintaining it's performance advantage over the 290 again when they fix it.

Soldato
Was thinking of buying a third, but guess better hold off.

Sounds like could be hardware? Was hoping could be easily fixed in driver...

Soldato
I see a mass lawsuit in the making. How can they advertise and sell a 4GB GPU if it isn't utilising that?? This is the definition of a false claim, and 12.5% (at least) drop in claimed memory performance. That's terrible!

Associate
I do wonder what the implications would be if this was a hardware issue, depending on the problem if this card cannot fulfill its feature set...

Would the card having but being unable to use 4gb of memory be considered being miss-sold or 'not as advertised'. I mean the memory is a pretty important feature, you would assume that if it states a maximum memory it would be able to use it*.

* to a satisfactory level over 3.5gb.

Soldato
I see a mass lawsuit in the making. How can they advertise and sell a 4GB GPU if it isn't utilising that?? This is the definition of a false claim, and 12.5% (at least) drop in claimed memory performance. That's terrible!

Yes!

Wonder if they kept it quiet hoping that no game would use that amount of VRAM.....until Watch Dogs was released of course :D

Not good at all.. Bad drivers again from Nvidia or is this Hardware issue?

Apparently its hardware not driver related!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom