Claim "Friendly" Insurers

Soldato
Wrote off my car last month, looking for insurance on a new car, before I start ringing round - are there any I should put at the top of the list that won't rinse me as much as others may do for having an own-fault claim?

Edit: Being 21 certainly doesn't help either.

Soldato
Impossible question to answer to be honest as every insurer will rate on dozens of different rating factors - claims being only one!

I'd jump on the price comparison sites as well as trying a couple of local brokers!

Soldato
OP
Ah, thought there may be insurers that don't mind drivers with a claim as much as others do.

I see Sky, Adrian Flux etc thrown around as being more competitive in that respect - though haven't tried them yet.

Soldato
OP
Makes sense, haven't received a settlement figure just yet from my current insurers, but I'm expecting 10,000-14,000 depending how kind they're feeling.

Soldato
I had a claim for £9000 when i flooded my old A6, i have since been with LV who i currently pay £400 a year fully comp with my NZ partner as a named driver with no previous UK driving experience but full NZ license for 9 years.

Soldato
Yeah don't think there's much you can try other than running the usual price comparisons as a starting point then phone up Chris Knott, Adrian Flux, Greenlight, Prestige and Sky one after the other until you find their bottom line.

Soldato
OP
Called Admiral (current insurers)

They "cancelled" my policy a couple days ago as the car was wrote off.. So if I go and put I've had a cancelled policy in the last 5 years on comparethemarket, it bumps prices up by about £800 !

Called Admiral to see what it would be like to re-activate the policy until March 2016 on the same model car and if it would still count as a "cancelled policy", they said £23.66 and it wouldnt count as cancelled (need to check that..). So looks like going with renewing/re-activating is my only logical option atm to save getting stung further.

Permabanned
That isn't what they are referring to as you having a cancelled policy, you don't need to declare it as such. It seems normal, for Admiral at least, to terminate a policy when a claim has been made.

A cancelled policy is more along the lines of lying in the details you submit for insurance and the insurance company finding out... or not paying your direct debit.

Note: if you "re-activate" with Admiral, when it comes round to March 2016 you will have 0 years no claims bonus (unless you have lots or its protected). If you switch insurers, you will start with 0 now... but if it's only £2x quid to continue to March, then it might be worth it anyway...

Soldato
Called Admiral (current insurers)

They "cancelled" my policy a couple days ago as the car was wrote off.. So if I go and put I've had a cancelled policy in the last 5 years on comparethemarket, it bumps prices up by about £800 !

Called Admiral to see what it would be like to re-activate the policy until March 2016 on the same model car and if it would still count as a "cancelled policy", they said £23.66 and it wouldnt count as cancelled (need to check that..). So looks like going with renewing/re-activating is my only logical option atm to save getting stung further.

That isn't a cancelled policy.

Your insurance policy has finished because you have been indemnified for the loss of your car and so the policy ends.

However, as goodwill (and because it gets you to stay with them) most insurers will let you add another car on the policy thereby allowing you to continue the policy. Although, they are under no obligation to do this.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Ah right. Thanks for the info.

I didn't get round to asking them if it that now counts as a cancelled policy which I need to declare in future to insurers, just assumed that it was.

"As a result, all insurance cover for this vehicle is cancelled for you and any other drivers on the policy with effect from 05/11/2015."

Anyways. I had 3 and a bit no claims, so if I had made it to March 16 it would've been 4. They've told me that they're knocking 2 years off so if I carry on to March 16 I'll have 2 years no claims. If not, then I have 1 years NCB at present.

Is that an Admiral thing or, when it gets to March 16, are other insurers going to accept that i have 2 years NCB bearing in mind the claim would've been in the last 12 months.

I've no problems staying with them though, happy with how the claims been going so far.

Soldato
OP
Oh okay, thought it was just an Admiral thing, as I assumed if you have a claim then you lose them all.

That's right then isn't it? (Probably the way I worded it)

So as of now, I have 1 years no claim. If I re-active my policy til March 2016 I'll have 2 years NCB.

Soldato
Oh okay, thought it was just an Admiral thing, as I assumed if you have a claim then you lose them all.

That's right then isn't it? (Probably the way I worded it)

So as of now, I have 1 years no claim. If I re-active my policy til March 2016 I'll have 2 years NCB.

I don't think you would have 2, I think you would still have 1. You have claimed in this policy year and so it doesn't increment.

That is what their policy documents day.

Can't type for toffee
Don
I don't think you would have 2, I think you would still have 1. You have claimed in this policy year and so it doesn't increment.

That is what their policy documents day.

Yup thats what my understanding would be, no addition ncb this year.
Also when I claimed with admiral my policy was left frozen until I provided them a new reg on which my insurance continued.

From when I had my crash I foudn I was far better staying wiht current insurer than leaving

Soldato
OP
Thought I'd bump this one back up save opening a new thread.

I wrote off my Subaru WRX STI Type UK Hatchback 2008 with 26,000 miles on it off a couple weeks ago (having only owned it since August 2015).
It also has the Prodrive Performance Pack optional extra which is around £1200

I paid £15,000 for it with a full service included, had FSH and in great condition so I was happy with that price.

I've had a settlement figure / first offer from Admiral today
Market Value: £11500 minus excess.. £10800

How should I go about asking for more? Or am I being unreasonable?
I definitely do not expect £15,000 back at all. But I was hoping for more around the £13,000 mark which could help me get closer to the same model with less than 50k miles.

The lowest price same model is £11800 which has 10,000 more miles and does not have the PPP.

As it stands on ebay I cannot find any with less than 50,000.

On Autotrader the closest one I can find, though 2 years newer but with 25,000 and PPP is £16000.

Thought I should mention that I do intend to buy back the car from them and then either scrap it myself or sell it on to a scrapper which should bring me a minimum £3000 back, but I'm yet to ask how much they for me to buy it back.

Back
Top Bottom