Anyone else gone back to membrane keyboards?

Soldato
So 6 months ago I thought I would finally get myself a mechanical keyboard that everyone raved about.
Long story short, after trying 3 different keyboards, all with different switch types for 6 months.
I'm going back to membrane keyboards.
I really just don't get on with mechanical ones. Is anyone else the same? I find the keys are too "tall", the thing is too loud and I can type much faster on a membrane keyboard and my gameplay is more accurate. It just feels like I'm typing on a 1970's keyboard. and not in a good way.

Just curious if anyone else was the same?

Associate
I never much liked mechanical keyboards, same reasons as you really. My rubber dome one is just lasting me out until Microsoft release the Modern Keyboard in the UK, it's basically the Surface Keyboard with a fingerprint scanner key.

Soldato
i do kinda preferr membrane for typing, but tbh that's more through force of habit than anything.

for gaming though definately mechanical

i do get what you mean by them being loud though

Associate
do you find the reds loud? i dont tbh saying that i always wear headphones at the pc. with all the available switch types out there nowdays there must be ones to suit all tastes and feels. personally dont think i would go back to membrane full time

Associate
yeh maybe i dont notice it that much. i think it depends on what the base of the keyboard is made from also, sitting here at work on a HP membrane board and it is quieter and has a nice feel in all honesty i just like the solid feel of a mech at home for gaming

Permabanned
I have reds at home - which are perfect for me IMO.
At the office I have a membrane keyboard, partly just because it's what work supplied, but partly because it's quieter. Some ppl tried bringing in blues from home but they got shut down pretty fast for being annoying.

Soldato
I have reds at home - which are perfect for me IMO.
At the office I have a membrane keyboard, partly just because it's what work supplied, but partly because it's quieter. Some ppl tried bringing in blues from home but they got shut down pretty fast for being annoying.

Sounds about right, i wouldnt dream of inflicting reds on an open office environment.

I tend to be heavy fingered when typing due to being used to membrane and as such the "shock" of the hard impact you get doing that on reds does get annoying after a while.

Guess it's six of one half a dozen of the other

Soldato
Never left them, Spending £100-200 on a keyboard is a mugs game and sums up everything that is wrong with the PC Gaming market today.

Overpriced, over gimmicky and a triumph of marketing style over substance.

Soldato
Never left them, Spending £100-200 on a keyboard is a mugs game and sums up everything that is wrong with the PC Gaming market today.

It's not quite that bad, as with all things they exist because there's a market for them.

After all you could argue gaming pc's are a mugs game because you can play games on consoles right?

If people have the spare money then spending it to buy something that's better for them either in performance, build quality or simply aescetics then theres nothing wrong with that.

Associate
for me as well as usability practicality. its aesthetics, personally i love the rgb stuff. remember how boring it was when we all had discolored /faded cream(yellow) boxes and keyboards

Associate
I love my mech keyboard (Corsair), but I know a few people have used it and struggled to adapt.

I went for a quiet and non-clicky one which helps - going to a really stiff switch and clicking probably would have sent me over the edge.

Ultimately though, it doesn't really matter. You don't have to like something just because it's more expensive.

Man of Honour
One thing I've never found with mechanical is a good all round key - blacks I swear by for FPS gaming - nothing else comes close for me but not great for typing. Blues I find decent for typing but personally don't like them for gaming. That is about the only reason I'd consider membrane any more - the mechanical keyboards I've bought so far have had great build quality and a robust, high quality feel I've not found in membrane keyboards.

Soldato

You don’t have to buy expensive mechanical keyboards to get good ones. Just got my girlfriend her first one and it’s top notch quality, rock solid, metal build, phone holder, red backlit, mx blues equivalent all for £20!

Associate
You don’t have to buy expensive mechanical keyboards to get good ones. Just got my girlfriend her first one and it’s top notch quality, rock solid, metal build, phone holder, red backlit, mx blues equivalent all for £20!

That's only just more expensive than the tester sets!

Soldato
I much prefer super low travel and low profile laptop style keyboards (currently use one of these). Mechanical just feels massive in comparison.

Really? I find that laptop keyboards dont give me enough feedback whilst typing so i'm forever checking if its registered which makes typing slow and annoying.

Soldato
Went thru 13 or so mechanical keyboards in about 4 years. Every single one of them broke within ~4 months. Double typing, leds dying, etc etc
Playing WoW probably didnt help, spamming the keys all the time :D
I came to the conclusion that I am extremely heavy handed and not suited to mech keyboards, so went back to membrane 2 years ago ish with a refurbed corsair K50 and its still going strong today. No sticky keys, no dead led's, no double key presses. It just works despite the abuse I give it. Shame they dont make em anymore, will have to keep my eyes open for a back up for if this one ever does peg it :)

I like the noise mechs make, but prefer the feel and durability of membrane all day long

Back
Top Bottom