Firmware 12.3 info for NVMe drives using the ref. Phison E12 controller

Associate
I've recently purchased a couple of NVMe SSD's based on the very impressive Phison E12 controller.

To my (limited) knowledge the following drives also use the E12 controller based on the reference design:

MyDigitalSSD BPX Pro
Corsair MP510
Silicon Power A80
Addlink S70
Sabrent Rocket
Seagate BarraCuda 510
Seagate FireCuda 510

I'd read that the more recent 12.2 firmware offered increased performance over the original 12.1 firmware so I went for the Silicon Power A80 which ships with the more recent 12.2 firmware out of the box.

To my surprise I'd also learnt a newer 12.3 firmware has also been floating about but the bad news is that the actual vendors are slow to get their own in-house software updated for consumers to update to version 12.3 (if at all).

I took the plunge and decided to flash both my drives with the 'reference' utility from Phison, this updated the drives from 12.2 to 12.3.

From my own experience I had no issues at all with doing this and both drives still retain their unique ID or name.

Please note: the firmware update is *destructive*, so backup your data and also you know the drill, its all at your own risk, etc....so don't blame me if it you brick your drive. If your drive is not a ref. design then I would advise against doing this!

1) Download the 'firmware12.3.zip file and extract the entire contents:

8Q6ytDj.jpg

If you can't locate this on the web then I can provide a link.

2) Double click the '(114)DLMC(Normal)ECFM12.3.exe'
3) From the Phison flash utility your applicable drive(s) should be detected, as below:

zm5QDWS.jpg

4) Don't amend the Function option, simply click the 'Run' button and the flash will start, it literally takes a second or two.
5) When complete, power off and restart your system.
6) Check device manager and the ID's should be as they were before (here they are on my system after the flash):

TImQPlK.jpg

7) Final confirmation of the firmware version via CrystalDiskInfo:

RnxQbnK.jpg

Anyway, I thought this write-up might be useful for those wanting to update to version 12.3 - all at your own risk I reiterate, good luck.

Associate
12.3 doesn't seem to be destructive if you're upgrading from 12.2. Tried it on a Sabrent Rocket 512GB (similar Phison E12 reference design) that was on 12.2 just now and everything seems to be fine. It only seems to be destructive if you're upgrading from 11.x firmwares. I would still also highly recommend backing up data before updating the firmware, just in case.
Not much of a performance difference, if at all:
lJ1TlnK.png
mX8f4R6.png

Associate
One more benchmark as a comparison, some small differences here and there, overall a little improvement so not a bad firmware update. Though unnoticeable under real usage.
hB5XEkP.png

Associate
The newer revision Sabrent rocket's with the E12S 512mb ram and Micron nand use custom firmware
Phison has made for Sabrent

Just warning people with the new revision drives not to update with the generic Phison updater
My drives have firmware

RKT3.03.1 & RKT3.03.2

I asked sabrent support if they had a firmware update so i could update the older revision
but they didnt even seem to know what i was asking and i gave up

Last edited:
Associate
Hi, have a Pioneer M.2 but windows halts any chance for a link to firmware 12.3? before i get the hummer out:)
- thanks

Last edited:
Associate
the newer sabrent drives with RKT firmware and half the dram i have found how to check the actual phison fw build

Here's my drives

M2P Sabrent Rocket 2TB FW: RKT303.3 actual Phison firmware ECFM22.6
M2Q Sabrent Rocket 1TB FW: RKT303.1 actual Phison firmware ECFM22.4
PCIEX4 Sabrent Rocket 1TB FW: RKT303.2 actual Phison firmware ECFM22.5
PCIEX1_1 Intel Opdate 800P 118GB FW:K4110410
PCIEX1_2 Corsair MP510 480GB FW: ECFM12.3

Associate
I'm very tired So not the best time to but anyways

I have 3 x SP A80 installed 2 x 512 and 1 x 256 each has 12.2

Firmware update lists
SCSI_2
SCSI_3
SCSI_4

I'm trying to work out which one is my S drive which is the one I want to update firmware on as drive speeds reading from it to copy to other hdds was as low as 2 meg per second (ISO file so not small files) I've emptied the drive and formatted

Disk 4 in management is my boot drive [MBR] 512GB
Disk 3 is the SP 512 drive letter S
Disk 2 is the SP 256 drive F

I noticed the firmware is probably non destructive from 12_2 to 12_3 and I really only want to update the drive I am having an issue with [don't know why really but it's one of those things you try in the hope it's magic :lol]
So which one is S: I was guessing at SCSI_3 [edit] It was 4 or 2 :lol as since latest bios and reinstall it's now 1/2/3 and not 2/3/4 [turns out i was right all along it was 3]
Bvcuy2k.png

Last edited:
Associate
Hi,

I scanned my SSD Firecuda 510 1TB and it showing like that...

please help me to explain me for my SSD NVMe info (the name of ssd and firmware version) and can i click on ""Run"" to update firmware? Is this safe?

Have any others way to update my SSD's firmware?

Associate
What do these firmware upgrades bring to the table? Have a Sabrent Rocket 1TB ( 3.0 ) is there any real gain for a casual user?

Associate
OP
Hi, this is quite an old thread....

Not sure what you've done but have you flashed the wrong firmware by mistake? If you have you've probably bricked it and/or possibly lost all your data.

The drive you mentioned: 311CD0512GB-TY00 in the D14 uses the PS5013-E13 controller.

Looks like you are trying to identify an Sxx controller, try to identify it as an E13 device.

You could try re-flashing the E13 firmware but I think you will lose the data on the drive. Good luck!

Associate
OP
Hi, what you are trying to do is not possible with a USB bridge. These tools are expecting to interface with the drive directly. I don't know why you keep referring to S12 as the datasheet indicates this was E13.

You never stated how the partition got to show 0 GB - did you flash the drive with an incorrect firmware? I'd say you've lost the data anyway as the flash process detailed in this original thread was destructive, if you do manage to reflash the correct firmware I'd still wager the data is gone.

I'd try reaching out to Phison themselves to help, they'd be better to advise you or the forum these tools originated from.

Last edited:
Soldato
Remove the drive from the machine, take clear photos of the drive and label, then upload those photos to an image hosting site such as ImgBB and post the links to the images here.

Back
Top Bottom