Help installing Ring Pro Doorbell

Associate
Hey!

I bought the Ring Pro thinking it would be a simple change (which it may well be) but I'm a bit lost on installing the 24v transformer.

I've watched some install vids but my setup doesn't seem to match other peoples. I'm in a new build if that makes any difference. Can anyone tell me what I should be doing with the kit below?

Bell box:

QXQGdvj.jpg

Consumer unit:

KVXVFXA.jpg

8FiOgCH.jpg

Any guidance appreciated! TIA.

Soldato
You've got mains power coming into the bell box (brown and blue). It's most likely connected back to the downstairs lights or sockets.

This means that you haven't got a 24V transformer at the moment.

If they've supplied a 24V transform to install you'll probably need to connect its mains input side to the those blue and brown wires. I haven't read the installation instructions so I don't know what else would be involved.

Associate
OP
You've got mains power coming into the bell box (brown and blue). It's most likely connected back to the downstairs lights or sockets.

This means that you haven't got a 24V transformer at the moment.

If they've supplied a 24V transform to install you'll probably need to connect its mains input side to the those blue and brown wires. I haven't read the installation instructions so I don't know what else would be involved.

Thanks. Should it be easy to identify which it is connecting back to (downstairs lights or sockets)? If so that presumably means disconnecting from whichever one it's connecting to now and terminating into the supplied 24v transformer?

Soldato
Turn off the breakers until the doorbell stops working. Start with the lights.

Can't you fit the transformer into the existing bell box?

If you need to ask these sorts of question you shouldn't be poking about inside the consumer unit.

Associate
OP
Turn off the breakers until the doorbell stops working. Start with the lights.

Can't you fit the transformer into the existing bell box?

If you need to ask these sorts of question you shouldn't be poking about inside the consumer unit.

I'm inclined to agree with you! I like to try and understand what needs to be done even if I have to pay someone more qualified to complete it. :p Thanks for the guidance.

Soldato
Some guesswork here, but..

You've got four wires in the bell box. Brown and blue for incoming mains and two thinner wires that presumably go to the existing door bell.

Brown and blue will connect to the input side of the transformer. The two thinner wires to the output side. The new 'smart' door bell will connect to the other end of those two thin wires in place of the existing bell button.

If it'll fit you can use the existing bell box to hide the transformer. You'd just need to extend the wires by a few inches so they'll reach.

I assume that the existing bell isn't used with the new system?

Soldato
I'm inclined to agree with you! I like to try and understand what needs to be done even if I have to pay someone more qualified to complete it. :p Thanks for the guidance.

Interested in hearing your experiences - I bought one and will be installing it this weekend

Soldato
The main problem I see is that you have a chime and transformer in the same box - the Ring transformer is pretty big and I don't think will fit in there (it is a DIN rail mountable unit so should go in the consumer unit.). Luckily when I fitted mine I had a separate transformer by the consumer unit and chime so I just replaced the old transformer. I wired the existing bell into the 1st and 4th output connectors of the Ring transformer.

You might be able to use the existing wiring and bypass the old transformer and leave it in the bell unit, but I'd wait for someone qualified to answer that. :) How far is the doorbell from the consumer unit? Another 'lucky' thing I had was that the doorbell was on it's own circuit which made things easy.

Last edited:
Associate
I live in a new build and your set up looks exactly the same as mine.

I pulled all the gubbins out of the door bell box and the transformer that comes with the ring Pro fits in it sideways with a bit of tape holding it in place. I connected it up and then put the cover back on the door bell casing in the photo.

As others said you need to find the switch on your fuse box that covers the doorbell (mine was downstairs lights circuit) and switch it off . Follow the instructions in the ring Pro box, connecting the brown and blue wires to the transformer they included. Take the push button outside of and connect up the ring Pro. Then connect the two little thin wires on the right in your photo to the transformer in the place the instructions say for the wire that go to the ring doorbell .

Once you're happy its all connected in the right way, bring the power back on and the ring should power up

Soldato
Haven't read all the posts but what you've got is your mains coming in to your chime and transformer, as we're in the UK that transformer is going to be 8V.

You need to identify and isolate the circuit running that doorbell, press the doorbell and flick them off until it turns off.

Once you've isolated your circuit you need to buy a 2 Module Consumer Unit, this is because the transformer Ring provide is a DIN Rail Mount, in the consumer unit ensure that the DIN Rail is supplied (some don't ship with a DIN Rail).

You're then going to want to remove the L+N from the existing transformer (doesn't seem to be an Earth in the photo, but if one is present ensure it's in a terminal block) and remove the two wires that go to your doorbell.

Then remove the existing chime from the wall.

In it's place, install the new consumer unit and introduce your cables.

Clip in the Ring provided transformer and wire it up as they recommend.

Polarity of your mains L+N matter however the polarity of the doorbells do not.

Re-energise your circuit.

Soldato
I fitted mine this weekend, all fairly straight forward. My existing setup was a bellbox in the hallway that had just 2 cables (bell wire) going to it. They went to a transformer in the electrical box, and then onto the physical bell on the front door. I replaced the transformer with the Ring Transformer, removed the bellbox completely out of the equation, and fed the bell wire back to the Ring device on the front door. All working swimmingly :D

Bit annoying that you have to pay monthly/yearly to have recordings saved for future use, but I've been enjoying the feature a lot, so I probably will pay the £24/year to keep it.

Soldato
I live in a new build and your set up looks exactly the same as mine.

I pulled all the gubbins out of the door bell box and the transformer that comes with the ring Pro fits in it sideways with a bit of tape holding it in place. I connected it up and then put the cover back on the door bell casing in the photo.

As others said you need to find the switch on your fuse box that covers the doorbell (mine was downstairs lights circuit) and switch it off . Follow the instructions in the ring Pro box, connecting the brown and blue wires to the transformer they included. Take the push button outside of and connect up the ring Pro. Then connect the two little thin wires on the right in your photo to the transformer in the place the instructions say for the wire that go to the ring doorbell .

Once you're happy its all connected in the right way, bring the power back on and the ring should power up

I'd just be replacing the bell box with an enclosure like this:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/wylex-3-module-ip65-insulated-enclosure-with-visor/74436

Or this:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/mk-sentry-4-module-unpopulated-enclosure-only-consumer-unit/6563p

I'd be much happier with a piece of kit designed for the job than shoving it in a bell box with some electrical tape :p

Associate
I have a 240v cable at my door which I want to connect my Ring Pro to, the 240v cable connects to my lights ring main when the electrician connected it. Can I just connect the Ring Pro to ir? (after turning breaker off obviously)

Soldato
I have a 240v cable at my door which I want to connect my Ring Pro to, the 240v cable connects to my lights ring main when the electrician connected it. Can I just connect the Ring Pro to ir? (after turning breaker off obviously)
It looks like the Ring Pro needs 16-24V so you will need a transformer. The transformer can be powered from that 240V AC feed, either at the unit or elsewhere if you're happy to run a cable from transformer to doorbell.

The Ring Doorbell Pro requires a constant power supply with a voltage between 16V-24V and at least 30VA of amperage

Associate
Hi,

I have just bought a Pro doorbell and have some questions which I am hoping someone may be able to help with.

In all of the videos/manuals, when installing the bypass, the old doorbell 4 wires leading into it (2 power cables and 2 cables which I assume lead to the bell push). My doorbell box only has two cables running into it. It seems my system has been set up (old house and therefore old wiring) by running a cable from the transformer to the doorbell, a cable from the doorbell to the push button and a third cable from the push button back to the transformer.

What I have done is effectively remove the old doorbell completely, by running a cable from the transformer to the Ring bypass, from the Ring bypass to the Ring push button, then back from the ring device to the transformer - this seems to work.

I have two questions, firstly is this the correct way of setting up the Ring based on the wiring I have? Secondly, is it actually possible to have my old doorbell ring as well as the Ring Chime when the Ring is activated?

Many thanks in advance for any guidance/help.

Associate
Hello, I'm having the same issue as OP and looks to be the same setup/bell box. Can I just verify that I'm correct in thinking that I can simply replace the existing bellbox with a 2 module consumer unit that houses the transformer so the mains that goes to the current bellbox (brown and blue wires) goes into the transformer, and the thinner wires connect to the output of the 24v transformer in the din box. Since the ring transformer and bypass essentially bypass the mains and existing chime (comes with a wifi chime to plug in elsewhere). This way I will avoid having to get the current switch in the existing consumer unit (which power existing doorbell and hallway lights) split into two and I essentially only need the existing doorbell's wiring and not the bellbox or push button. Thanks for your help!

Soldato
Yes that will work. :)

The only thing is I find the Ring Chimes quite quiet, so check that out first. If you have Alexa at home then you can set off alerts in a routine when the doorbell is pressed.

Associate
Yes that will work. :)

The only thing is I find the Ring Chimes quite quiet, so check that out first. If you have Alexa at home then you can set off alerts in a routine when the doorbell is pressed.
Cheers, I have an alexa in every room so should be good. Will have to wait until tomorrow to get the consumer unit.

Back
Top Bottom