Wiring an extra switch in the garage

Soldato
Last year we knocked through into the garage and added a fire door to make it integrated.

One thing that is really annoying me is the only switch to turn the light on is at the other end of garage near the garage door.

Is it possible to add a switch by just running the wire from the existing switch to a new switch?

Currently all the original cables are ran behind the plaster board, I don't fancy making too much mess for now so was just going to get some trunking to run the cable from.

Normally I would run it from the light but if it is possible to just run from the switch it would be much quicker and cleaner.

Thanks!

Associate
Light with one switch

Switch can be a 1-way, or it can be a 2-way with just one wire off it.

In this case both switches need to be 2-way.

Last edited:
Associate
Just need to change existing switch with 2 wires, move them from com and L1 to L1 and L2, make sure its a 2 way switch or it wont have an L2 terminal

then run 3 core cable from here to a new 2 way switch

and just put 3 core in com,L1,L2 same way at each switch, brown, black, grey etc

Soldato
Above says it better, I went with the route of buying a 1-gang 2-way switch metal clad box
here;
http://www.screwfix.com/p/1-gang-2-way-switch-metal-clad/33685?_requestid=251328

One of these;

http://www.screwfix.com/p/wagobox-light-junction-box/8423f?_requestid=251463

(and some of the little connectors which I can't remember the link for)

One of these to house the wagobox and the little connectors where the cable is being extended;

http://www.screwfix.com/p/ip65-adaptable-box-80-x-80-x-52mm/14556?_requestid=251713

and then just ran some 3 core wire from that to the new switch location.

It could be done better / neater I am sure, but that was an easy job and satisfying to do :)

Associate
My dodgy looking pics

Looking at this again, no one seems to have noticed the Live and Neutral are the wrong way round on the diagrams! The Live (Brown) should be Switched. Not the Neutral (Blue). Oh and there should be an Earth all the way thru from supply, switches to light fitting (if it has one).

Bit of an accident waiting to happen if anyone used those pics :(

Caporegime
or buy a LIFX bulb they don't require a hub to work like other smart bulbs (can get them cheaper second hand off ebay as buying 1 on it's own is quite dear but you can buy packs for all your home) and leave it on and turn it off and on using your phone and wi-fi.

i imagine this would be less disruptive to plasterboard and decorating, etc.

Soldato
This is the proper way of wiring 2-way switching:

NO4tgGV.jpg

**NOTE**
The 'neutral' in the cable running from the 3-plate ceiling rose is actually a switch-live (hence the brown sleeving)

Back
Top Bottom