China Banning Plastic bags

Caporegime
France has already banned free plastic carrier bags, it's only a matter of time before we do too. Back in '92 when I used to work at a supermarket, we used to charge customers 4p per carrier bag too. I dunno why that practice stopped tbh (though the chain I worked for did go bust).

Permabanned
its amazing how many bags I seem to collect of a few weeks, but I always forget to take the old one with me when I go shopping

Caporegime
Aldi have always charged and people just used the bags for life, you can take them in with you and bag it at the checkout or just put it back in the trolley and bag it at the boot. They also don't have a trolley problem.

Hasn't Ireland also got a tax on carrier bags? would have thought Labour and the word Tax would have brought this in years ago.

Soldato
My housemate has got me into the habit of taking our reusable carriers (the ones that you pay for at Sainsburys that aren't plastic). She's also got me recycling stuff too.. man I should be more Alpha about the house..

Associate
OP
[DW]Muffin;10866073 said:
Aldi have always charged and people just used the bags for life, you can take them in with you and bag it at the checkout or just put it back in the trolley and bag it at the boot. They also don't have a trolley problem.

Hasn't Ireland also got a tax on carrier bags? would have thought Labour and the word Tax would have brought this in years ago.

yeah but its a tax most supermarkets can handle. banning the really thin ones and selling every1 a bag for life is the way to go in my book

Caporegime
My housemate has got me into the habit of taking our reusable carriers (the ones that you pay for at Sainsburys that aren't plastic). She's also got me recycling stuff too.. man I should be more Alpha about the house..

They take your black bin away every few weeks and make it smaller, so you have to recycle, there is no way to be alpha (true story)

Soldato
I just take my rucksack to the shops, its also much easier when carrying heavy things, I just look aty people with bags that are fully stretched with tins and milk and laugh.

Plus the amount of crap we are dumping in landfills is disgraceful and poisoning our beloved country.

Soldato
we banned plastic bags on our island last year
made a huge difference to the plastic waste around the place, and on beaches

Soldato
The plastic bag problem in china isn't caused by the ones handed out to shoppers there, its because all the ones you collect and put in for recycling are shipped to China by the boatload for processing. The factories that recycle them are mostly located on the outskirts of small/medium cities and have very few environmental controls. They heavily pollute the nearby waterways and land with chemicals and the grat piles of bags are easily bown about by the wind, causing further pollution problems.

Soldato
I bought a couple of "bags for life" from M&S and use them every weekend when I do my shop now, even in the stores that don't offer that kind of thing. You always have to stop the assistants though and say, wow wait I'll just put it in here.

The sooner they ban them the better.

Back
Top Bottom