The Offical Lian Li PC-A05 Owners Discussion/Modding Thread!

Caporegime
The Official Lian Li PC-A05 Owners Discussion/Modding Thread!

So yeah I finally got around to buying this case, and also modding it! More on that a bit later...

So anyway why this case? Well, quite simply it's one of the most compact cases on the market capable of accepting a full ATX mobo... yet large enough inside to house a large GPU (8800GTX) and heatsink (Thermalright Ultra-120) with no issues. Not to mention its killer looks... under-stated and elegant, and no rubbish door! People have also used it for watercooling successfully... and it appears to be adaptable to so many different setups and configs that it really is one of the most versatile cases on the market! :D

For pics and professional review see here http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/77909585/m/319001496831

HUGE thread with LOTS of info and pics at [H]ard Forum http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1133290

User review at SPCR
http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=38415

Watercooling project threads and pics:
http://coolercasesuk.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3260

Sooooo anyway I went and bought one. Upon receiving it I then went about modding it to fit a dual rad grill at the top to make a dual 120mm fan blowhole... one of the issues with this case is that hot air collects at the top, and blowholes can help massively in reducing case temps, they really are a real benefit to this case!

Also planned was drilling out the HD cage rivets to make it rmeoveable. For some reason unknown to man Lian Li decided to put the front fan in the case and then seal it with the HD cage... which means that to replace it with a better one you are left solely with the decision of removing the cage. Not a lot of hassle, but annoying nevertheless.

Any other owners that want to post pics of their case or discuss any mods then feel free to do so! :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Ok i've just cut the rad grill hole by doing the following:
  • Used a pencil to mark out the exact dimensions of the grill (including all holes) on the top of the case relative to where I wanted it put.
  • Used masking tape to go over the lines, then re-drawn the line over the tape to ensure the panel wasn't scratched to **** and that it was easily visible when cutting.
  • Used a large drill head and drilled holes on the inside of the line so that it was easy to put the jigsaw blade in, one hole in the middle of each line, and one at the end of each corner so I could do a straight diagonal cut for all corners.
  • Used the jigsaw to cut out the hole, it went through it very easily with the metal cutting blade and was pretty neat.
  • Used a metal file to smooth out any sharp bits.
  • Removed masking tape and then cleaned all the metal shards form the inside and outside of the case, as well as cleaned all pencil marks off of the top panel.

PLEASE DON'T QUOTE THESE PICS, EDIT OUT THE IMAGE AND LEAVE ONLY THE TEXT IF QUOTING TO SAVE FORUM SPACE!

Here's some pics of after the hole was cut...

Casemod019.jpg

Casemod007.jpg

Here's some pics of it with the grill over, but not yet fixed (I have all the screws etc, just haven't attached it yet) Looks quite neat if you ask me!:

Casemod001.jpg

I also drilled out the HD cage rivets with a suitable sized drill head... they came off very easily. Just make sure the drill bit is sharp!

Casemod010.jpg

Casemod006.jpg

So all in all an easy mod... just make sure you take the time to mark all the dimensions and where you're going to cut and it's a breeze. I had my dad help to hold the case steady when drilling/cutting, but i'm sure you all know at least one person who can do the same for you!

I'll post pics of the finished product when it's all completed and setup. I also need to mod all my Yate Loons for 7v or mayube 5v, haven't decided yet! Will 7v be quiet enough do you think...and if not would 5v push enough air?

:)

Caporegime
OP
Ok finally here's my pics of the finished product:

I still need to colour those top screws black... or i'll likely end up replacing them for flat black anodised self-tapping screws... but i had none at the time so they had to do!

The top two fexhaust ans are at 5v with both intakes at 7v... all fans are of course Yate Loons. The GPU is running 100% passive, and the HSF is currently being cooled only by the rear intake fan... yes it's warm at 56c idle, but it's stable as a rock (heavy gaming tested) so while I will add a fan at 7v to it later, i'm not in any rush to do so.

Very happy with it... besides the cable management which I really suck at lol. :D

Last edited:
Associate
Looking good Richdog.

Here's a few pics of my project.

What do we have here then.

1.jpg

Lovely.

2.jpg

Naked.

3.jpg

Some stuff.

4.jpg

PSU intake, bottom of case, I took the grill from the back case fan.

5.jpg

Inside. (M5 bolts need a trim)

6.jpg

Ready for 2 x 120mm Yate Loons.

7.jpg

Eye candy.

8.jpg

Some new silver feet.

9.jpg

Lian Li C-01B Aluminium CD-ROM/DVD-ROM Bezel.

10.jpg

That's all for now.

More to come.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Looking good Richdog.

Here's a few pics of my project.

What do we have here then.

That's all for now.

More to come.

Mate that is damn sweet, good job! I've never modded a case before and it's surprising how satisfying it is. :)

Bit off topic but can those fan grills (or similar) you have ontop of the case be bought seperatly?

Yes, it didn't come with the case, hence why we "modded " it. Google "AC Ryan grill". :)

Caporegime
OP
k3v1n where did you get the new feet from? They look like the feet from my Silverstone!

I'm also planning to build a "platform" on castors for it... basically a "wooden thing on wheels" with a foam bed to cut out all the vibrations form the case, and to make it easy to move the thing around under my desk. :)

Caporegime
OP
K3v1in please email it to my email the link to the feet addy in my trust... I don't think the mods will mind me asking as it's only for feet for this specific case, and OCUK don't sell them here. :)

Soldato
Ooh interesting stuff, looking good. I'm planning on getting myself the PC-A06B in a few weeks, and it's essentially the same case on the inside so it's good to see what it all looks like. :)

Soldato
Yeah that's the only thing I'm not really liking about the A06, not sure why they put an 80mm there instead of a 120mm. May change my mind and go with the A05, will see how it goes!

Caporegime
OP
Yeah that's what REALLY put me off of the 06 and 07... how on earth they can put 80mm fans in them in this day and age i'll never know!

The A05 is imo the perfect case... provided you're willing to mod it!

Oh and do you think the top two 120mm exhaust fans will be ok with only 5v running through them? I was thinking 7v but considering heat rises and they're at the top I don't see the need for running them at 7v, any reduction in speeds/noise will help!

Associate
Yeah 5v would be quieter.

This is the first time I've used Yate Loons so I dont know how load they are at 7v, if they are to load then I'll 5v mod them.

Air flow should be fine at either voltage.

Caporegime
OP
Yeah 5v would be quieter.

This is the first time I've used Yate Loons so I dont know how load they are at 7v, if they are to load then I'll 5v mod them.

Air flow should be fine at either voltage.

Cool, I think i'll mod a pass-through cable for 5v instead of modding the fans directly, someone on [H] suggested it and to be honest I would never have thought of that! I'm also buying a 1TB drive due to the lack of HD space (room for 3 basically) and with them being so cheap now (the Samsung F1 can be had for £125inc) there's really no excuse not to, I need to get rid of all my 250GB etc drives, no use for them now due to my space requirements being quite heavy. Ohhh yeah I also have an Icy Box "hot-swap" 5.25" SATA to add to it too.

EDIT - I've only just noticed you modded a 120mm hole in the PSU bay... it looked so clean and tidy I thought it was a standard feature, I had to go check mine to make sure I wasn't going mad! :D

Yeah that's the only thing I'm not really liking about the A06, not sure why they put an 80mm there instead of a 120mm. May change my mind and go with the A05, will see how it goes!

I would if I were you mate... don't be daunted by these mods we're doing they're really very easy... i'm a complete DIY flid so if I can do it anyone can! :D

Caporegime
OP
K3v1n take my advice... sell that 150GB Raptor and buy a 320GB Samsung F1... it's just as fast and the difference in speed/vibrations is simply dramatic, about 5x less. I have just swapped my 150GB Raptor for one and can't believe how quick it is... actually faster in almost all situations, and half the price! No to mention when you add the price of that extorionate Smart Drive HD silencer it just becomes a complete and utter unecessary extravegence! :)

Back
Top Bottom