OC'ing my Gaggia Classic

Associate
Sort of!

I'm going to attempt to do the Rancilio Silvia steam wand mod, but am having trouble tracking it down for a fair price. Is item XR5600 at Drury Tea and Coffee the right one? I've found it at Happy Donkey, but it's £28 before VAT and delivery :(

Associate
OP
I don't like the steam wand. I'm having trouble getting rich foam in my milk (oo-er) with the black plastic thing, and if it's removed the Gaggia wand is way too short to go into a jug. I've read the Silvia arm fits well, and is longer/has better angle for foaming milk.

Associate
OP
Sorry- I know there are a few coffee types here. It's a coffee machine- I want to modify the steam wand for better frothing performance, but am unsure which part to order.

I'm not really overclocking it.

Man of Honour
I bought the one from Happydonkey

However, you may well need to bend or saw the old steam wand up to get the nut off. It's a bit of a git.

Haven't done the switch yet because of that exact thing.

Soldato
Word to that, I want to mod mine with the steam wand, the turbo frother is super lame.

If you find a good guide on how to do it post it up in here.

How about PIDing your Classic? After listening to some of the coffeegeek podcasts some of these people take espresso waayyy too seriously.

Man of Honour
Word to that, I want to mod mine with the steam wand, the turbo frother is super lame.

If you find a good guide on how to do it post it up in here.

How about PIDing your Classic? After listening to some of the coffeegeek podcasts some of these people take espresso waayyy too seriously.

Remove that plastic piece of crap - get a small metal milk jug to use - it works fine but you are limited to only being able to produce enough steamed milk for one drink at a time really.

Not a problem for me - other half drinks latte, I drink espresso or americano. No milk allowed. ;)

Associate
OP
I bought the one from Happydonkey

However, you may well need to bend or saw the old steam wand up to get the nut off. It's a bit of a git.

Haven't done the switch yet because of that exact thing.

Yeah, I saw the Happy Donkey one - it's a little confusing as there are two differetn Silvia arms, one in the Silvia section and one in the Gaggia section. The Gaggia one is £10 dearer than Drurys one.

Soldato
Good thread, I wondered if it was just me who found the Gaggia awkward to use.

With the plastic attachment on I don't think I would be able to get the Gaggia supplied metal jug under it unless the machine was on the edge of a bench. I now use it with just the metal arm but as you've discovered, it doesn't do a great job.

Man of Honour
Yeah, I saw the Happy Donkey one - it's a little confusing as there are two differetn Silvia arms, one in the Silvia section and one in the Gaggia section. The Gaggia one is £10 dearer than Drurys one.

Never noticed that tbh. My Gaggia's in for a service at the moment so, once it comes back, the arms will be switched. :D

Good thread, I wondered if it was just me who found the Gaggia awkward to use.

With the plastic attachment on I don't think I would be able to get the Gaggia supplied metal jug under it unless the machine was on the edge of a bench. I now use it with just the metal arm but as you've discovered, it doesn't do a great job.

Just the metal bit works fine - it does depend on your technique though. ;)
The limit is the amount of milk the classic can steam to start with.

I binned that plastic thing after the second time I used it. Steaming milk away quite hapilly - then there is an almighty bang and milk sprays everywhere! Over me, over the floor, over the gaggia, over the counter, over the cupboards, over the celing....

The black bit had come off the metal arm and had hit the bottom of my metal jug with such force that it dented it - and launched most of the hot milk out of the jug... Once the cleanup had finished I threw it away.

That was not a good day.

kai

kai

Soldato
What the hell some of these coffee machines are like excess of nearly 2k of that donkey site, i can get married to a thi bride who will make coffee for a lifetime for less than that.

Back
Top Bottom