FarCry 2 - 1680x1050 4xFSAA + Quad Core = 40% boost

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,661894/News/Far_Cry_2_Hardware_nerdsundrsquo_gaming_experience/

While playing, we noticed that Far Cry 2 uses up to 60 percent of the CPU capacity in some situations. This is remarkable since those values are reached on the high-end device QX9650. The two programmers of Ubisoft, whom we interviewed, told us that a quad-core CPU would deliver 30 percent better performance on average than an identical dual-core processor. The RAM usage is about 600 Megabyte – even after a long time playing on Windows Vista (32 Bit). On the first test system Far Cry 2 was running smoothly at 1,680 x 1,050 with high details and activated HDR and Bloom. In regards of the graphics settings we noticed, that the framerate increased a lot when we set the details from Very High to High. In combination with the information we got during our technical interview, we therefore assume that Far Cry 2 will, with adjusted settings, run quite good even on weak systems. When comparing DX 10 and DX9 we noticed that in DX10 the shadows were a bit softer and did flicker a lot less. The programmers confirmed our observation. Furthermore the water effects are said to look better in DX10.

Interesting!

Soldato
But can it ru - oops wrong one. Will it run at least as smooth as Crysis? That's the question on the tip of everyone's tongues. Especially with DX10.

Soldato
thats exactly my thought, im wondering if i should get in on ps3 instead. just tried the crysis demo again and it runs pretty poor on a q6600 @ stock with a 8800gtx and 4gb of ram. even at 1024x768, i cant max the settings and get decent fps

Last edited:
Soldato
And the PS3 version will not be running at the equivilent of 'Maxed out settings', if it is, it'l be rendered at some silly low res and upscaled beyond belief.

Soldato
thats exactly my thought, im wondering if i should get in on ps3 instead. just tried the crysis demo again and it runs pretty poor on a q6600 @ stock with a 8800gtx and 4gb of ram. even at 1024x768, i cant max the settings and get decent fps

The problem is you trying to Max out the settings.

At 1024x768 you should easily be able to max out Crysis on an 8800GTX. It ran fine for me maxed out at 1366x720 on my HDTV, but not at 1680x1050 on my monitor (I ran it on all 'high' instead).

Man of Honour
aye but some people are crazy, apprently every graphics card is now based on how well it can run crysis..... i mean its one game *shrugs*

It's the most demanding game out so of course it's going to be used as the benchmark for performance.

It's always been the case for games and graphics cards.

Back
Top Bottom