About to start my own website!!

Permabanned
I've been a bit of a geek for a number of years and always use to mess about with html/css/php/vb but never bothered with a real domain or any decent hosting!

I'm in my second year at Uni doing a business degree and hoping to go into a placement for my 3rd year! I thought it would be a good idea to set up a website with the main intention of showing potential employers my CV and have a bit of info about me up on the site..

I haven't done much web development/flash for a long time and was hoping for a bit of inspiration in this thread..

I've checked the stickies and came across http://www.sarawallen.com/ which is basically what I'm aiming for but In my own style..

Has anyone else done similar? or can advise what or what not to do on a site like this!?

Also the personal info issue.. Would you consider password protecting the site an sending potential employers the Pword?!

edit: sorry if this seems like a very pointless thread!

But Thanks in advance :)

Soldato
Keep it simple. Personal sites will never usually be massively content filled so you don't want it to look sparse, and equally you don't want the site to detract from the content.

Password, no. If you're that concerned about personal info being in the public domain then don't put it on the internet.

How much HTML etc experience do you have? Got any examples of previous work?

Permabanned
OP
Keep it simple. Personal sites will never usually be massively content filled so you don't want it to look sparse, and equally you don't want the site to detract from the content.

Password, no. If you're that concerned about personal info being in the public domain then don't put it on the internet.

How much HTML etc experience do you have? Got any examples of previous work?

A fair amount.. I use to do a lot of stuff in notepad but can happily work in dreamweaver and the dreaded frontpage.. In terms of skanking/implementing other peoples chunks of code (and cleaning it up) and getting it to do what I want I'm more than competent..
However sit me in front of notepad and tell me to make an on-line chat box I wouldn't have a hope until I checked the internet and chopped up some bits of code..

I'm a bit rusty but looking at the standards of some websites e.g http://www.citrus-seo.com/

I don't think I could compete with it's aesthetics.. I'm not really very good at photoshop! :(

Permabanned
OP
Oh and no examples I could show as I've forgotten the crappy sites I made like 5 years ago.. But I think I could produce a more aesthetically pleasing site than the example I gave in my first post

Soldato
If you don't know much about CSS then I agree, the website above seems daunting. I only very recently learnt CSS, and judging by what you say you seem quite humble about your skills.

I don't want to sound patronising so please be honest about what you know - CSS and 'web 2.0' is a far cry from making a website with tables (which is what I was used to). Once you start looking at the above website from a 'floating' CSS point of view, all becomes very clear (and this is coming from someone who is very much an amateur).

Soldato
If all you're putting on there is your CV it's a little pointless, you may aswell just send them your CV...

Websites are good for portfolios and such, so unless you have a portfolio...

Soldato
This reminds me of a project I thought for myself, others might like to try it.

Go onto OSWD.org and select 2-3 designs that you like, and have a go at trying to convert them to a Joomla template - then release it back out again. Its fun and gives a reasonable indication that you have the ability to understand and code in html/css/javascript/php and understand joomla templating...

Permabanned
OP
Well I decided to press ahead with it..

I've made a basic layout, It still needs work but I hope everyone can view it how it should be viewed..

Theres lots to do still.. I went the route of pure css! my links are actually a list :p, the flash code from dreamweaver made is very messy and chunky so going to tidy that up.. Then there forms and obviously most important all my info to go in.

http://www.gnevans.com/

Check it out!! lol :p

:o

edit: will make it more interesting soon, probably go php route.. add a style sheet changer, cookies, time, make a decent form, and other bits and pieces

It's not very exciting I know but I wanted it to be simple and it sort of looks like a piece of paper with my name ontop ;)

Feedback welcome :p

Back
Top Bottom