Lack of people wearing Poppies is a disgrace .

Soldato
Again this year I'm lucky if I see anyone wearing a Poppy. Apart from the odd elderly person. I've always bought a Poppy every year for years now. To think people have fought and died for us many years ago and people today fighting Afghanistan and Iraq. It makes me so angry the lack of respect shown it makes me want to punching something.

Sorry about the rant I just think anyone that hasn't put any money in the box are a disgraceful and should be ashamed of themselves.

Soldato
I am refusing to take one at the moment due to overly stupid health & safety approach.

Non of the ones in out local shops have any kind of pin/stalk. All stick on which fall off in a matter of hours :/

Donations abound though :)

Caporegime
My maternal grandfather was gunnery officer on board the submarine HMS Taciturn during WWII ; my paternal grandfather was an artillery officer in the British Army of the Rhine during WII.

One of my paternal relations also served as chief stoker on board the HMS Khedive during WWII; I think he might have been a great-uncle or something.

29aurrc.jpg

2vd0ebr.jpg

Lest we forget.

Associate
Got mine and put it on my coat the first day I saw them available. Might get a new one this week since mine is curling up and generally looks battered.

Soldato
Out of interest why would you not want to wear one, if you had one available?

Maybe for some people the act of giving is more important than being seen to be giving. I donate to charities but don't feel the need to wear a badge to let everyone else know.

I donate, but don't wear a poppy. I hope the OP asks his potential victims if they are merely not wearing one because it's their choice before punching them...

:rolleyes:

Permabanned
Again this year I'm lucky if I see anyone wearing a Poppy. Apart from the odd elderly person. I've always bought a Poppy every year for years now. To think people have fought and died for us many years ago and people today fighting Afghanistan and Iraq. It makes me so angry the lack of respect shown it makes me want to punching something.

Sorry about the rant I just think anyone that hasn't put any money in the box are a disgraceful and should be ashamed of themselves.

Slightly ironic, Mr "Outraged of Turnbridge-Wells" given that one of the main motivators for WW2 was the preservation of our freedoms, including freedom of expression no?

FWIW I did have a poppy but because of the rubbishy plastic stalk it fell off within a matter of hours, also I had, as 'Im sure many do, relatives that were killed in action during the War but I don't bang on about it on the internets :p

Soldato
What exactly do these poppies represent? I was having a think about this yesterday, was it for WWII only or for every soldier killed in the last 60 odd years?

Man of Honour
What exactly do these poppies represent?

'The Unknown Soldier' which is basically every soldier who has fought for their country and died.
I go to the Cenotaph every year to pay respect and talk to the old soldiers and to put a wreath down for 3 Uncles who died in the 2nd World War.
One of them was John Baskeyfield VC.
I have bought 3 poppy's so far but because I constantly change my tops they are probably all still in the wash basket.

Soldato
I have to say that I've not seen poppies for sale anywhere, nor have I had a single person approach me offering them.

I'll definitely wear/buy one if I see any.

Exactly this.

I work in north London and normally in the town centre most days for lunch. I've yet to see someone selling them.

Soldato
I have bought 3 poppy's so far but because I constantly change my tops they are probably all still in the wash basket.

Same here, i pretty much buy one every day as i either forget to change it or lose it. It doesnt cost much so i dont mind paying a quid each day into the poppy collectors tin for a new one. One tightwad at work kept his for the last few years and just recycles it! Needless to say he got so much ribbing about it that he went and bought a new one for a fiver (i went with him and called him tightwad until he put enough in to atone for his sins! :))

Back
Top Bottom