BBC presenter sacked for demanding non-Asian driver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Incident outside of work = no case for dismissal = unfair dismissal case.

Sack her 'cos she is crap at her job. Don't sack her 'cos she is an idiot outside of work. :(

Ignoring all the discussion above about rape (bit of a jump imo :confused:). She made the phonecall on a work phone and brought the image of her employers into jeopardy especially when she made an issue of her working for the BBC. Frankly I can't see the big deal about her being sacked, she made a racist phonecall from her work phone and made a point of mentioning her employer and trying to use this to make her point more valid.

Soldato
detriment to her, the mother or the driver? are you saying that, given the childs fear, the mother should have just accepted whatever driver was selected for the job? potentially causing the child to have a mental episode and/or the child not getting in the car and therefore not reaching her destination?
If your child truely had a fear, would you force them to do something that would put them directly in contact with the object of their fear?

I would take the kid to have her nut examined before it got to this point at cost to myself or the NHS. I don't have any children but I remember being 14, my school was 50% asian or so. There were no turban tantrums. if by that age she doesn't no better she has a genuine mental issue.

Sorry can't help it with the turban rhyming.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
The Daily Mash, once again has quite the informative way of putting things.

The Daily Mash said:
BBC PRESENTER SACKED FOR NOT USING A COASTER

THE BBC has sacked a local radio presenter for not using a coaster in her own home.

Was that difficult? Mmm?
Sally Bradford, host of BBC Bath's Hello Bath, was dismissed after placing a mug of hot coffee on a table, leading to an obvious, beige-coloured ring.

Bradford said: "I was in a hurry, the phone was going and I accidentally put the mug on my lovely oak coffee table.

"It was only when I got home that I noticed the damage. I phoned the local furniture repair service and asked them to send a French polisher, but not an actual French one because that would scare the bejesus out of my six year-old.

"I was simply stating a fact. I had damaged my coffee table and my daughter is terrified of Frenchmen."

Unknown to Bradford, the call was recorded by the repair company who then decided to become upset.

A spokeswoman for BBC Bath said: "When we heard the recording we could not believe a respected professional like Sally would have failed to use a coaster on such a nice table and we dismissed her with immediate effect.

"It is not appropriate to use the licence fee to pay people who do not know how to look after things they bought with their own money."

Bradford added: "Come to think of it, maybe my daughter's a little bit racist. Oh well, at least now she won't grow up to resent Frenchmen."

Soldato
I didn't realise how racist OCUK is until I read this thread, seriously WTF.

you can select whoever you want to ado a job for you assuming it is a legitimate reason. Race is not a legitimate reason, neither is sex unless it has something to do with the job.

There was an incident not that long ago regarding a asian who wore a headscarf wanting to be a hairdresser, they told her to f off as they didn't think her stle was appropriate.

for me this is fair enough, the hair salon has an image and a towel round the face doesn't do it any favours. This guy is a taxi driver, looks are not important. assuming he is good at driving a taxi and speaks English there is no reason not to hire a white person over him unless you are racist and have some kind of pre determined feelings towards all Asians.

If you had been raped the day before by a gang of 10 Asians you would be biased. But you would still be wrong. Obviously all Asians aren't like that so why treat them as if they are?

If the child has a genuine phobia it should be dealt with or the mother should take precautions such as driver her herself if she doesn't want to deal with it. It sounds like a tale to get out of the real reason to me. she is a big dirty racist!

Caporegime
I would take the kid to have her nut examined before it got to this point at cost to myself or the NHS. I don't have any children but I remember being 14, my school was 50% asian or so. There were no turban tantrums. if by that age she doesn't no better she has a genuine mental issue.

Sorry can't help it with the turban rhyming.

when i went to school there wasnt a single person wearing a turban. at the school im looking to send my boy, on walking around the classes during the day, i didnt see any turbans.
i see no turbans in work and none where i live (which is odd as Slough has a stupid amount of asians).

just because you grew up with other cultures, doesnt mean others have. and regardless of what you would do before this situation, this case is about the situation at hand, not what should have happened years ago.
you deal with it as you can at the time, in this case, Mason asked for a non asian driver to help deal with the situation.

and how the **** was the mother meant to 'driver' her daughter at that time? she was in work!

Soldato
I would take the kid to have her nut examined before it got to this point at cost to myself or the NHS.

Which is where I introduced the "what if she had been raped by an asian man" into the discussion, as many people think its straying from the topic its merely my attempt at trying to point out there are legitimate reasons that some people may not want to be driven by an asian man.

If you had been raped the day before by a gang of 10 Asians you would be biased. But you would still be wrong. Obviously all Asians aren't like that so why treat them as if they are?

If the child has a genuine phobia it should be dealt with or the mother should take precautions such as driver her herself if she doesn't want to deal with it. It sounds like a tale to get out of the real reason to me. she is a big dirty racist!

Not really, if the child has a genuine reason why asians may freak her out than its perfectly acceptable for her to want to avoid contact, as it may cause added stress or a nervous breakdown. You just dont know, so dont judge.

The mother was at work, funny enough, that was quite clear in the article..
AND as far as I know she is banned from driving ANYWAY.
A tale to get out of the real reason? We'v all read the transcript.. I dont think she had any malicious motives, nevermind ulterior ones.
She sounds far from a big dirty racist, merely somebody whos life seems to be going from bad to worse due to a sly individual profiteering illegally from something that should otherwise have remained private, and a tabloid famous for its lack of moralls stirring up another witch hunt, blowing allsorts out of proportion - funny once how it was the very tabloid which has black marks against its name for discrimination.

Last edited:
Soldato
The whole argument seems to hinge on the fact that her daughter has some kind of medical condition that means she is scared of turbans. It doesn't exist!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

she was talking out of her ass because she put her foot in it.

and even if it did how come everyone is happy about playing the disability card but not the racism card. you can't have it both ways.

A major point seems to also be that the mother was in work, so what, her whole excuse is that her child is sick and is scared of turbans, she needs to get her priorities sorted if that is the case and look after her. Unless perhaps, just perhaps there is a small chance she was making it up.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm sure the taxi driver weeps all night because a little girl didn't want him as her taxi driver.

Big ****ing deal. It's not as if he was the target of a vicous attack was it.

Man of Honour
Silly comments from the woman.

If she hasn't taught her 14 year old daughter (thats year 8/9) that people from other cultures dress differently, then shame on her. No excuses.

Soldato
Because the operator should have just said 'sorry, we do not have this policy, if you would like to ensure you do not get an asian, ring someone else'.
She was not intending to deny the asian driver(s) from money. there was no hurtful intention imo.

That's like me going to a shop and refusing to be served by a white till operator, at the end of the day they're still going to get paid.

Caporegime
That's like me going to a shop and refusing to be served by a white till operator, at the end of the day they're still going to get paid.

You can choose to do that, especially in supermarkets, i bet a lot of people look at 2 things when selecting which queue to join: length of queue and who is serving. I know i consider who is serving (but not based on race) before I choose a queue.

Soldato
You can choose to do that, especially in supermarkets, i bet a lot of people look at 2 things when selecting which queue to join: length of queue and who is serving. I know i consider who is serving (but not based on race) before I choose a queue.

Why would you consider who's serving? What difference does it make?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom