Bailiffs permitted to use physical force against homeowners

Man of Honour
Oh great, so they get to use heavy-handed mob tactics legally then. Intimindation and scaring the **** out of people obviously isn't good enough. What the hell is a watchdog going to do when a bailiff comes charging through your door at 7am? May as well give them all police enforcers to help make their job easier. :/

PS - No, I've never been in a position where a bailiff has been involved, but I have been in ridiculous situations with companies chasing 1p debts, for example. :/

Caporegime
Err someone forcing their way into ,y house, trying to take my stuff and trying to grab me? No matter what they say I'm counting them as burglars who also seem to want to hurt me, if I'm in the kitchen they're going to get a knife lodged somewhere.

Or can we all now break in and say "baliffs can;t touch us"

Man of Honour
Yet another step towards a police state. Nothing better than giving civilians power over others to ensure loyalty. Simple psychology for simple minded citizens governed by greed and a blinkered view of the world. Seriously, wake the **** up people.

Fight this at every opportunity. :(

Soldato
Sorry, but if someone tries to use force on me, I'm well within my rights to defend myself...and I would. Not being a keyboard warrior, I'm just a big unit who most sensible people would look to avoid getting into a scrape with.

same here, most people avoid having a go at me when am out with mates it helps been 6ft 6 and on the rugby team but you get the odd **** head baiting you on, would like to see the baliffs have a go at me :D

Man of Honour
Err someone forcing their way into ,y house, trying to take my stuff and trying to grab me? No matter what they say I'm counting them as burglars who also seem to want to hurt me, if I'm in the kitchen they're going to get a knife lodged somewhere.

Or can we all now break in and say "baliffs can;t touch us"

I advise you use a bat instead, unless you are particuarly fond of long stays in jail.

Caporegime
I advise you use a bat instead, unless you are particuarly fond of long stays in jail.

Don't own one, Don't have the strength to use one or my bare hands in a fight with a large fella.

Obviusly I'd call police first and tell him to stand stil ltill they came, if he's legal (i doubt) he'll have no worry, if (and i know it;s not my debt) he then tries grab me That's more tha enough proof that he intends to do "severe bodily harm, stabbing him in the gut would come under reasonable force due to our weight differences etc i'd expect.

Whacking him over the head would require me to sneak up on him, and then just *** him off and give him a bat to hit me with.

After all 've got no idea if he's a balif or a thief, if i let him just take my stuff then leave, the insurance company will laugh me out the door claim in hand.

Soldato
In France there would be uproar and riots in the streets.
In the UK people just lay down and let it happen, what happened to the riots of the poll tax era?

Soldato
I remember hearing somewhere that on the first visit to your house you have to invite/let in balifs before they can enter your property, on subsequent visits they can do what they like to get in.

This is very true. Once a baliff has been invited into the property they have then got the right to re-enter the property by any means - this includes kicking in your front door or smashing a window.

Simply do not invite them in as they currently have to gain "peaceful entry" into the property and ask them to leave the property. They have to be given a "reasonable time" to leave the property before you can call the Police as they are trespassing.

Be careful tho, I have heard stories of people being duped by Baliffs... knocking on the door to enforce action on a debt you may or may not have heard of and when you claim to know nothing about it they would ask to use the house phone to ring the office or to use the toilet and BAM!! They have their invite into the property.

I agree that they have a job to do, but the way that a large number of them conduct business is shocking.

Back
Top Bottom