Does anyone pull air through their radand a general tubing question?

Soldato
Does anyone pull air through their rad and a general tubing question?

I've got a Thermochill PA160 and currently have the fan attached to my case then to the shroud and air is pushed through the radiator.

I was looking at tidying up my case a bit to improve airflow and saw a mounting kit for the rad but this would mean bolting it to the case with the shroud on the other side and pulling air through it.

Is one method better than the other or will the net airflow through the rad be the same?

Also I've always used tygon tubing but am adding a NB block to the loop and for easyness was looking at ordering some XSPC 1/2" tubing along with the Swiftech MCW30 block from OcUK. I take it there wont be much difference between that and the Tygon?

Last edited:
Soldato
i always use my fans in pull configuration, i would say its more efficient but i have no idea though. the good thong about setting it up to pull is the fact you can just hoover the front of the rad and remove all the dust without having to get the fans off to clean where they have been

Associate
Depen on where you gonna put your rad but I prefer blow through. Difference tube in a loop should be fine, XSPC tube need some anti kins coil if you got a tight bend, because its abit softer. Hope it help

Associate
I agree it depends where the Rad is mounted. My loop that cools CPU/NB/SB is a PUSH and the GPU loop is PULL, while I obviously can't compare the two temperature wise, they both perform their jobs adequately. The positioning of the RAD is far more important than the direction of the fan's. Ideally the rad fans should be sucking/blowing though clean fresh cool air from outside the case at either the front, top, or bottom. Try and avoid rear rads as they will have to deal with air already heated up by your other internal components.

Man of Honour
I agree it depends where the Rad is mounted. My loop that cools CPU/NB/SB is a PUSH and the GPU loop is PULL, while I obviously can't compare the two temperature wise, they both perform their jobs adequately. The positioning of the RAD is far more important than the direction of the fan's. Ideally the rad fans should be sucking/blowing though clean fresh cool air from outside the case at either the front, top, or bottom. Try and avoid rear rads as they will have to deal with air already heated up by your other internal components.

Agreed with all of the above. The key is cold air over the rad, don;t use air already warmed up by the case interior or out the back as it has to deal with warm air from the PSU and GPU.

Soldato
OP
The rad is at the front/bottom of a Lian Li PC6 case currently connected to the 120mm fan intake. I'll be sawing out enough of the frame so the rad is has decent airflow to it.

As for the tubing I've just went with tygon again as I'm used to working with it.

I was wondering whether to bother with any fancy pants coolants this time though. The first time I put the loop together I just filled it with de-ionised water. The second time I used de-ionised water with a little anti-freeze to stop algae growing. Are the coolants that you can buy actually worth the extra cash?

Soldato
Mine are set to pull through my PA120.2 - i feel it provides the best airflow as well as moving the fans further from the case edge and consequently further from my ears.

gt

Soldato
I was wondering whether to bother with any fancy pants coolants this time though. The first time I put the loop together I just filled it with de-ionised water. The second time I used de-ionised water with a little anti-freeze to stop algae growing. Are the coolants that you can buy actually worth the extra cash?

I had a bottle of Feser One green UV which I had forgotten about. It had been stood for exactly one year, unopened. I found it recently and opened it and you could see quite large clumps of god knows what floating about in it, I'm guessing colonies of algae. Seeing that put me right off the stuff tbh. Shame though as the UV glow is really quite impressive. I settled for UV coloured tubes and de-ionised + PT Nuke.

Associate
Theres loads of threads about whats better, push or pull. I remember seeing this link on one of them and its a properly thorough test of them. Basically says its better to have low rpm fans pulling and higher rpms pushing.

But like most people have said, as long as youve got cold air moving over your rad, I doubt it makes much difference about being push or pull.

As for the tubing, I doubt there will be much difference, assuming you already use 1/2" tubing?

Back
Top Bottom