Seals!!!

Soldato
I had somehow forgotten to upload and process a momory card from when I went to Donna Nook last year. So here is an out of season looks at some cute Donna Nook seals;

20090404161428_dsc_7188-edit.jpg

20090404161606_dsc_7254-edit.jpg

20090404161644_dsc_7272-edit.jpg

:)

Soldato
If I remember correctly, we were both there at the same time last time around, but we managed to miss each other.

Love the Nook seals, though. Great shots :)

Soldato
OP
If I remember correctly, we were both there at the same time last time around, but we managed to miss each other.

Love the Nook seals, though. Great shots :)

Yeah I think we were. These were taken when it had cleared a little bit. When we got there it was silly foggy. We drove all the way down there at about 20mph, following lorries as you couldn't see the edges of the road. We even set a compas bearing as we headed out to the sandbanks due to the very real danger of getting lost in the fog.

Soldato
georgeous pup!

I think the day it was foggy was about the only day I didn't go this year lol! Correct me if i'm wrong, but the foggy weekend was the weekend where EVERYONE goes? and lots of wildlife tour/safari leaders were gutted because they couldn't get out on the Saturday or most of it.

I'm about to start a Padi diving course hopefully do a few then start some underwater stuff.. I'd love to photograph the Californian sea lions at some point, but it'll be a long time until I can.

This year we'll need to arrange an organised trip with everyone!

Soldato
OP
What lens did you use when taking the shots and how close could you get to them without disturbing them. love the first shot :D

These were all taken using the Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 VR. You can get pretty damn close, but you have to be very carefull not to cause them distress. With these I parked myself a decent distance away and very slowly edged closer as it got used to me. After a while it actually thought I was a seal and tried coming to me, so I had to move further back.

Phone GPS > compass bearing :p

Meh! If Phone GPS gets wet or runs out of battery, then Phone GPS
< Compass :p
georgeous pup!

I think the day it was foggy was about the only day I didn't go this year lol! Correct me if i'm wrong, but the foggy weekend was the weekend where EVERYONE goes? and lots of wildlife tour/safari leaders were gutted because they couldn't get out on the Saturday or most of it.

I'm about to start a Padi diving course hopefully do a few then start some underwater stuff.. I'd love to photograph the Californian sea lions at some point, but it'll be a long time until I can.

This year we'll need to arrange an organised trip with everyone!

Yeah that was the day. Right in the middle of the season. I think the fog scared away most of the people though as it turned out to be pretty quiet. Missed out on the good light even though we set off at like 4.30am.

The diving course sounds good, and you might be able to get some unusual seal shots with the new skills. Yeah, we'll have to have an ocuk/tp Donna Nook meet this year. I tried arranging one last year, but not many people could make it, and as it turned out was probably good due to the weather.:)

Back
Top Bottom