Mangobreeders How to cook a steak Thread

Soldato
I haven't had a T-bone in ages, I might try one for my next steak

how did you manange to cook your ribeye at 55-60c?

I tried it in my slow cooker but it got slightly too hot and cooked out the juices :/

You need an oven thermometer or a probe thermometer (pref. both).

You should be able to set the oven at a temperature which averages out at around 50-60 which should do nicely.

Wish i had some decent photos of that before/after steak - they look rubbish on my phone :( I wasn't going to mess around with my SLR with that sitting in front of me though!

Soldato
Ok got some steak to cook tonight. Took a trip to robert dyas and bought a pan. Its on the rainforest called

Kitchen Craft Deluxe Cast Iron Grill Pan Square 23cm

Its got white enamel on the inside.

Now I paid £13.99 for it (although its £7.82 elsewhere). Is it worth me just using my normal frying pan tonight and then taking this one back and getting the Chasseur Cast Iron 26cm Square Grill Pan Matt Black for £21, or is this one going to be decent enough?

Soldato
Why is there discussion about beer in a steak thread, the only think to drink with steak, is a glass of Cheatue Montrose 2005

Your french fails you, Chateau, also I prefer to drink something I like with steak rather than what is expected, also on a secod note your 'T' Bone looks horrid :)

my opinion of course, also as a northerner I don't eat the fat as I don't like the taste but then whats with the stereotypes you fairy?

KaHn

Soldato
A[L]C;13054288 said:
hmmm why is it so difficult to pick a bloomin pan :confused:
I've spent £60 on what was supposed to be a top of the range frying pan and it was beaten, hands down, by the best frying pan I have ever owned - a Sainsbury own brand. Additionally, if you don't want to spend a lot of money on a decent knife but still want something effective, their knife range is superb as well (although a good set of knives is a wonderful thing :D).

Soldato
Morrisons Butchers Rib Eye steaks are delicious!

Next time your there, pick one up. All different sizes and prices and really nice!

I'd be suprised if you said it was a crap steak or didnt enjoy it.
I got one a couple days ago - cheap too - having it tonight :D

(although a good set of knives is a wonderful thing)
One of which went straight through my left index finger last night - extra blood! :(

Soldato
Let me know how it goes buddy :D

I love them... so tasty, so tender and for the price there ideal. Get some onion rings, chips, peppercorn sauce (or sauce of your choice) and your sorted!

One of my famous Saturday teas :D
It was superb - best steak I've had in ages - and I've been buying steak two or three times a week for the last few weeks. That salting method I was talking about earlier makes a big difference.....or maybe I'm just getting better at cooking steak all the time :D

Soldato
well I am a head chef in a country restaurant. People ordering Blue steaks are very very much in a minority. I'd say majority of people including myself and most friends like it Medium Rare.

My stepdad likes it blue not for me personally I'm a medium rare man myself:).

Soldato
How to GRILL a steak

I can't stand seeing these steaks pan-fried, so here's my go:

1) Take your 14 - 18 oz. New York Strip steaks. As everyone else, add a pinch of sea-salt and pepper to each side. Add a splash of Worchestershire sauce (do not marinade!) and garlic if desired.

100_1460.jpg

2) Allow steaks to sit while bringing grill up to temperature. Keep the lid closed and keep at high heat until no more smoke comes off. Hit gently with a wire brush.

100_1461.jpg

3) Place steaks at 45-degree angles to the iron.

100_1462.jpg

4) Leaving lid open, grill on HIGH heat for 4 - 6 minutes or until meat no longer sticks to the grill.

100_1463.jpg

5) Flip steaks in same position, maintaining the 45-degree angle to the iron.

100_1464.jpg

6) Again, 4 - 6 minutes with lid open on high heat. We should just start to see the fat dripping off the sides now.

100_1465.jpg

100_1466.jpg

7) Flip steaks again, this time switching positions of the steaks and rotating 90-degrees from original position. This will define the "diamond" pattern grill marks and also ensure both steaks don't have "hot spots".

100_1469.jpg

8) Decision: Rare meat - medium rare, leave lid open. Medium - medium well, close lid. In this case we're going for rare (lid open).

Allow to cook for about 1/2 the time it took to do the initial turns, then flip steaks, close lid, and turn grill OFF.

100_1470.jpg

Don't worry, they will still cook inside the grill for a few minutes as the fat drips off and catches flame on its own.

100_1471.jpg

10) Remove from heat and allow to sit while the rest of the dish is being prepared.

100_1472.jpg

11) Carve in and decide if they're done enough or not.

100_1473.jpg

12) Get a healthy dose of mashed spuds and serve up!

100_1477.jpg

Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom