*** Dell UltraSharp U2410 24" Widescreen LCD Monitor @ £447.99 inc VAT ***

Associate
Wow, there's a significant difference between the two reports... I'm slightly scared of ordering one, in case I get a "bad" one. :rolleyes:

Thanks for doing the scans! :)

I agree, it does seem terrifying to dole out £450 and for it to be a complete lottery.

Furthermore the RMA system seems to be an even more dicey gamble - potentially going from bad to worse.

I think I'll just go for the 2209WA to avoid any drama, I certainly wouldn't want to rely on luck, a commodity I seem to be rather devoid of :p

Associate
OMG... I got mine. Other than fuzzy edges & pants audio out (using headphones) awsome. Xbox & PS3 look head & shoulders above anything I've used b4. Gonna play some more... :)

Associate
got two from ocuk but the colours are very different on each model. whats the best way to get them looking the same?
Well, make sure they're in the same mode first of all!

Other than that, you can calibrate them yourself or, if you don't own a calibration device, pick the one you prefer and put the other one in "Custom Color" mode, then you can tweak Gain, Offset, Hue, And saturation to try and match it. You might also try your graphics card driver, although unfortunately Nvidia have removed a lot of the Gamma control, available under XP, from their Vista/Win 7 drivers. Better to go via the monitor controls first anyway..

Mkay where did you get these details about the green/pink tint problem?
EDIT, I should say first - If it's anything like the HP situation, the problem seems to affect a small minority of screens.. It's something to be aware of, but shouldn't be a major concern. Otherwise this screen is really excellent and I can't recommend it highly enough.. Beautiful colours, the sRGB mode is certainly better than what the alternatives provide, and it's usable for gaming :) Importantly, I haven't heard anyone who got one from OC complain about the problem yet either :) But I did notice the tint problem from another (non OC) U2410 monitor. I noticed it straight away as the one I got from Overclockers did not suffer the issue, so I know how good the colours on these screens should look. I switched to a white background, and straight away it was apparent the left side was green tinted. The pink on the right was slightly harder to notice, but was also fairly apparent.

The other thing was I started to notice that it was causing me eye strain. It's almost as if your brain is subconsciously processing the differences between the 2 halves and making your eyes sore. Whilst the dead pixel was a small annoyance, this green pink tint thing was completely unbearable. I'd sooner dig my own eyes out with a spoon than use it. Well, ok, maybe not.. but pretty close. It's a disgrace anything like that is leaving the factory..

Btw, as an aside, this monitor launched in the USA yesterday. Dell are already offering a 20% coupon off the $600 price, for a $480 total, or £287. So Dell Hong Kong get it for £266, Dell Malaysia much the same, Dell USA £287, but the UK? That'll be £574 please. I'm starting to think Michael Dell hates British people or something.. Although European monitors come from the Czech Republic, whereas the US monitors are made in China or Mexico, so that's at least part of the reason for the price difference..

Last edited:
Associate
Well, make sure they're in the same mode first of all!

Other than that, you can calibrate them yourself or, if you don't own a calibration device, pick the one you prefer and put the other one in "Custom Color" mode, then you can tweak Gain, Offset, Hue, And saturation to try and match it. You might also try your graphics card driver, although unfortunately Nvidia have removed a lot of the Gamma control, available under XP, from their Vista/Win 7 drivers. Better to go via the monitor controls first anyway..

Note that if you actually have the green/pink tint issue, no amount of tweaking will help much, since one half of the screen is in disagreement with the other half (one half being green, the other half being pink).

From another U2410 monitor I viewed. I noticed it straight away as the U2410 I got from Overclockers did not suffer the issue, so I know how good the colours on these screens should look. I switched to a white background, and straight away it was apparent the left side was green tinted. The pink on the right was slightly harder to notice, but was also fairly apparent.

The other thing was I started to notice that it was causing me eye strain. It's almost as if your brain is subconsciously processing the differences between the 2 halves and making your eyes sore. Whilst the dead pixel was a small annoyance, this green pink tint thing was completely unbearable. I'd sooner dig my own eyes out with a spoon than use it. Well, ok, maybe not.. but pretty close. The worst thing of all is, as I said, there is no way around it. It's a disgrace anything like that is leaving the factory..

Btw, as an aside, this monitor launched in the USA yesterday. Dell are already offering a 20% coupon off the $600 price, for a $480 total, or £287. So Dell Hong Kong get it for £266, Dell Malaysia much the same, Dell USA £287, but the UK? That'll be £574 please. I'm starting to think Michael Dell hates British people or something..

ah stuck it in the adobe mode and it looks the same now, thanks mate :)

Associate
Wow, there's a significant difference between the two reports... I'm slightly scared of ordering one, in case I get a "bad" one. :rolleyes: Thanks for doing the scans! :)
Np. I edited my posts to put a bit more info in there and clarify things about the tint issue hopefully. As I've said, I don't think this is a common issue at all, more something to be aware of.. Dell will cover this under their warranty, and should swap any problems for a factory new panel if asked, but they really shouldn't be shipping them in the first place would be my argument. The good news is nobody who's bought from Overclockers has reported getting one with the issue yet, so don't worry too much.. the problem seems somewhat rare and it really is a VERY good screen :)

Associate
This'll be the last image from me.. When I took this one I realized you'd really have to make a High Dynamic Range photograph to properly capture the range of colours the U2410 can put out.. Simply beautiful. Get some nice desktop images like this for your U2410 and you'll be viewing colours a TN panel could only dream about making.. :)
LastOne.jpg

Associate
completely off topic but where do I get that wallpaper you're using?!

Great pic!

(showing my space science degree background nerdishness here... :D )

Associate
Why are dells so expensive?
In this case it's partly the IPS panel, partly the reasonable build quality (and the backlight on these U2410's is great - it's as good as LED backlit) the features (nice stand, memory card reader on the monitor, USB hub, good firmware which offers decent monitor controls, a through mode etc, a hardware LUT to map colours more precisely than the alternatives) and, in Europes case, at least partly because the monitors are being assembled in the Czech Republic, whereas the USA/elsewhere is paying quite a bit less for the Chinese built version (Edit: the USA gets them from Mexico too, apparently). Personally, I'd rather pay the £150+ less and do with the Chinese/Mexican built version. :)

But there is an alternative in this space. If you don't care about the hardware LUT (IE you're not really interested in photography/printing) and you don't care about gaming (so you're not bothered about having a through mode) then there's the Philips 24" IPS for around £350, although I see OC aren't listing it for sale any more..

Last edited:
Associate
I love mu U2410... All I've used so far is my PS3 & Xbox (such a waste I know, but honestly I hardly ever played my consoles cauz of the lack of native res and AA, but now WOW!!!!)... ;)

Man of Honour
do any owners find the power on/off button is really fussy? I was finding it didnt always want to turn it on, but now it just wont come on at all!! not sure if it's just my unit though

Back
Top Bottom