Im thinking about moving out and renting a place

Soldato
Im thinking about moving out for a number of reasons, I am looking to move to the cardiff area renting a place.

Here is some background

Im living at home, currently working in the IT industry working as network support consulant and 4 years experience in VoIP. Currently on £18k (hopefully more soon!)

Debt wise im paying pack some debts atm:

Student loan -4k - coming out my salary, who cares about the rest?

Graduate overdraft - £2k <<need to clear after egg card

Egg Card - £350 - << Will be clear within the next few weeks

Outgoings I would probably have to look into big time if I was moving out as i have a few, atm after all bills etc have gone out i usally have around £250 spare

All i want to know is, will i survive renting a flat in cardiff

Last edited:
Soldato
Im thinking about moving out for a number of reasons, I am looking to move to the cardiff area renting a place.

Here is some background

Im living at home, currently working in the IT industry working as network support consulant and 4 years experience in VoIP. Currently on £18k (hopefully more soon!)

Debt wise im paying pack some debts atm:

Student loan -4k - coming out my salary, who cares about the rest?

Graduate overdraft - £2k <<need to clear after egg card

Egg Card - £350 - << Will be clear within the next few weeks

Outgoings I would probably have to look into big time if I was moving out as i have a few, atm after all bills etc have gone out i usally have around £250 spare

All i want to know is, will i survive renting a flat in cardiff

I would have thought that £250 wouldn't be enough to move out on.

Soldato
Save up for a few months and get yourself well into the black. There will be a lot of initial costs, up front you'll probably have to paid a months rent, a deposit (which might be a month and a halfs rent), agent's or solicitors fees (between £100 and £300).

Even if the flat is fully furnished you'll need all sorts of rubbish.

Try living off the amount of dispossible income you'll have and saving the rest for a month or two (be brutal).

Oh and if you think not living with your folks will stop you wanting to go out every night. Living on your own can be worse.

Soldato
OP
Save up for a few months and get yourself well into the black. There will be a lot of initial costs, up front you'll probably have to paid a months rent, a deposit (which might be a month and a halfs rent), agent's or solicitors fees (between £100 and £300).

Even if the flat is fully furnished you'll need all sorts of rubbish.

Try living off the amount of dispossible income you'll have and saving the rest for a month or two (be brutal).

Oh and if you think not living with your folks will stop you wanting to go out every night. Living on your own can be worse.

I dont tend to go out a lot, if i do go clubbing, its proper raving, usually something me and the boys have a special occation once every month or so. Im quite happy sitting at home learning, creating, have friends over etc.

I think its been said though, prioirty 1, clear debt :), I have been doing some business on the side so may just up the anti on this one

Back
Top Bottom