Seagate 15.TB Queries

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
Hi

Just received my brand new Seagate 1.5TB ST31500341AS yesterday. However i noticed from the 1st day after setting it up, it clicks every few seconds. Did do a search on the forums and the web and discovered a few concerns. As far as the drive goes once it up and running it fine.

Just ran the seatools and checked the serial for the drive as far their website confirms it has the latest firmware updated -'CC1H' the whole line was in RED though ??

My real concern is that i noticed my CMOS doesn't pick up the drive from a cold boot, just before POST it hangs for ages (like it does when detecting new hardware in CMOS) it eventually picks it up (saves) and then boots into windows.

It is doing this from every cold boot. shouldn't it only do this 1st time like all my other drives as it should retain this info only once. Noticed in hardware manager as well it only says ST31500341AS rather than the full drive name ie Seagate Barrcuda like all my other branded drive.

Should i be concerned? i am already thinking to RMA it if it going to be a problem. Only got this a few days so if i am best to do it ASAP.

Cheers

Kyo

Last edited:
Soldato
I've got 2 of these drives in my home PC and neither of them click, had them running for something 2 days outside of the case to monitor them cause of all the stories I had read on the internet.

I know this doesn't help you much and if you speak to Seagate CS they will definitely tell you that the clicking is normal, think they say that the drive is recalibrating, reason I know this is I used to have a pair of Seagate 120gb drives, 1 was deadly quiet the other made a racket but CS refused to lodge an RMA for it. The noisy drive died around 8 months later.

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
OP
You'll need to do as jellybeard999 has stated, download the test util and run it against the drive, see what it reports back. If it reports any errors then make a note and then give Seagate a call.

ran the utili only on the shorts tests and all came back passed.

If there was a problem would return it to the suppliers as it brand new and i only received it a few days. What a hassle :(

Soldato
regarding your long boot times.. any chance you have raid enabled or perhaps your using a sata port on your mobo that is second party (not chipset) which will prolli be for raid. best way to tell is if your board has more than say 4 sata channels. if it does try swopping the sata port. they should be grouped differently or maybe colourcoaded.

just a thought :)

Associate
You should RMA it, long delay before windows usually a case of bad blocks, i had this problems so many times, turned out to be a bad block problem always. I had to manually plug and unplug each of my 22 hard drives seperately to find out the faulty drive.

Associate
Send it back under the Distance Selling Regulations (presuming it's within 7 days since you bought it) - if you RMA it they may well tell you that it "passes manufacturer tests", send it back to you and charge you for the privilege.

The latter happened to me, fortunately I'd sent it back DSR and they've sorted it since, but if I'd just RMA'd it I'd be £96.40 out of pocket for a £70 drive I didn't want (once postage and return fees are included)

The problem is that they're not consistent. I've got one drive which started clicking just out of warranty and is still going 3 years later, another which died within a month and a further one which is currently doing it.

Why the manufacturers are allowed to get away with saying it's "normal" is beyond me, it's not acceptable. If everyone sent clicking drives back immediately under the DSR, they'll start losing money and I'm sure they'll start doing something about it.

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
OP
Just out curiosity. does anyone else with this Drive notice that when you boot your pc from cold boot in cmos

DETECTING DRIVES. - the Seagate isn't listed the 1st time but it is picked up by the time windows is loaded,

I was thinking is it because it needs to spin up or power up before the Board has a chance to detect it.

Once i reboot or restart it is listed thereafter until the next cold boot.. Just weird how every cold boot needs the drive to be resaved to cmos.

Thmorningstar did check the RAID option. RAID not enabled and i only got 3 drives in my rig so they are using the standard 4 SATA ports on the board. I had another drive in that port before and it was never a problem so i know it not the board.

Last edited:
Associate
Just out curiosity. does anyone else with this Drive notice that when you boot your pc from cold boot in cmos

DETECTING DRIVES. - the Seagate isn't listed the 1st time but it is picked up by the time windows is loaded.

I faced the same thing, only my 750GB and 1.5TB seagate (both 7200.11) used to come up later, when windows is loaded. Maybe it takes longer to power up.

Soldato
I'm running my system in RAID although I don't have a RAID pack setup and all of my drives (2 x 500gb and 2x 1.5tb) are picked up on cold boot. Maybe with RAID being setup it takes slightly longer to boot which is enough time for the drives to be detected?

Prior to RAID I was running in AHCI mode and again all my drives were picked up from cold boot.

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
OP
I faced the same thing, only my 750GB and 1.5TB seagate (both 7200.11) used to come up later, when windows is loaded. Maybe it takes longer to power up.

Thinking the same thing. It kinda weird how it has to update the cmos constantly.

================================================================

Run the long test on Seatools under DOS, it will take a while but at least you can see if it detects any bad sectors.

Speed- yeah thinking to do that to give me peace of mind. Any idea likely how long that going to take. Was going to use the seatools (windows) long test

Should i use Long - Detect Test or Generic Test?

I just called the supplier and i got 30 days no quibble which is reassuring. Not going to RMA it if i can help it. Took me hours to copy data onto it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thinking the same thing. It kinda weird how it has to update the cmos constantly.

================================================================

Speed- yeah thinking to do that to give me peace of mind. Any idea likely how long that going to take. Was going to use the seatools (windows) long test

Should i use Long - Detect Test or Generic Test?

I just called the supplier and i got 30 days no quibble which is reassuring. Not going to RMA it if i can help it. Took me hours to copy data onto it.

Personally I'd download the latest .iso version of the DOS Seatools tester from their website, burn it to a CD and run the long test through that. The Windows test isn't as reliable.

Not sure on how long it will take, but being a 1.5Tb drive, it won't be quick.

Back
Top Bottom