Virgin Media TV Problem

Associate
We have had Virgin Media TV here for just around a month. When we first got it, it was fine but after a week of having it, we started to get annoying pixelating/picture square problems, mainly only on ITV & Channel 4 but also sometimes on some of the Sky channels. This could be due to a signal problem but I have rang Virgin twice now going over the usual things to try out like switching the box off/on again, check the coaxial wiring from the box to the wall etc. The second phone call the lady sent a couple of signals through to our box and this seemed to fix the problem but the problems came back 2 days later! :( I have a feeling though that this might require an engineer visit. Before I give Virgin another call to book an engineer visit, is there anything else I could check before I call them up i.e. check the small Virgin box on our house outside? Also how much is an engineer call out charge?

Thanks all - Liam

Soldato
I usually check the signal levels in the menu.

My box says.

SNR - 32.0dB, 30.0dB

AGC Signal Level - 7dBmV, N/AdBmV, 1dBmV

Return Power - 48dBmV

Maybe check yours to mine? You can also post on their newsgroups and ask them to check you levels for you. Pixelation is normally a low signal level to your house, which requires an engineer to come out to your street box. Free ofc. They can send an engineer for you as well on newsgroups.

Hope this helps Liam.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I usually check the signal levels in the menu.

My box says.

SNR 32.0dB, 30.0dB

AGC Signal Level - 7dBmV, N/AdBmV, 1dBmV

Maybe check yours to mine? You can also post on their newsgroups and ask them to check you levels for you. Pixelation is normally a low signal level to your house, which requires an engineer to come out to your street box. Free ofc. They can send an engineer for you as well on newsgroups.

Hope this helps Liam.

Funny you should mention that, the SNR did catch my attention when I went into the signal levels earlier on and the SNR is 31db. Yeah I had a feeling it is to do with the signal too but the problems only seem to start at around this time of the day some days (5pm) and then go on all night, some nights though it is not as bad but instead it can happen early in the morning too. I will look at the newsgroups now, thanks Camalot!

Liam

Associate
OP
Mine is 41dBmV here, Yeah the first time I rang then I got through to a really helpful scottlish guy, second time though it was an Indian lady!

Liam

Associate
Engineer call out is indeed free. Getting them pinned down to an accurate time however can be a little difficult. So you may be waiting some hours, like a monring or afternoon. And it's only £10 if for any reason you are out when they do eventually call.

Associate
OP
Engineer call out is indeed free. Getting them pinned down to an accurate time however can be a little difficult. So you may be waiting some hours, like a monring or afternoon. And it's only £10 if for any reason you are out when they do eventually call.

Anytime during the day is fine for me as their is always someone home :)

Liam

Back
Top Bottom