Connecting XBOX to Laptop, and T-Mobile dongle.

Caporegime
Has anyone got a quick guide to do this?

For some reason, the xbox can't find the laptop, yet the laptop will find the xbox.

I really want to play streets of rage!

Cheers guys :)

Caporegime
OP
Just allowed the dongle to share the connection. I had done it, but kept coming up with network 'null' but for some reason it just seemed to work.

Just going to see if its playable online, doubt it though :p

Associate
I did this, you need to set the wireless to share the internet connection.

I also had problems with the windows firewall, and now that I have installed comodo it works fine all the time :)

Everything should find IP addresses etc. automatically

Associate
With the wireless dongles it will surely be affected by where you are. Some people will be lucky with latency, others not so.

Associate
Yeah using 3G dongles can be sporadic, I get pretty poor reception here but I've noticed times when I get the download speeds just under 200kbs (whats that roughly about the same as a 1-2Meg connection?), theres no reason then if he in a good reception area most online games are completely playable.

I remember reading a magazine that was testing out 3G dongles and laptops last year to see if you could do proper mobile online gaming. I think they only found 1 or to locations (in/around the Bristol area I think) that they got good enough speeds.

Man of Honour
Speeds don't matter at all =/

It's latency that's required for decent gaming and most dongles have 250-350ms latency so Wow is your only option.

Associate
True never tried to game with my 3G so I cant comment on the latency personally but surely if there is a good constant signal it should be fine. Either way though the magazine article (think it was PC Gamer UK) proved that it is possible in certain places, though not advisable with the current state of UK coverage.

Last edited:
Associate
We use to have a Vodafone dongle, was an absolute nightmare, was fine for downloading stuff on live, but playing online was a nightmare, use to get kicked from games all the time, think it had something to do with the NAT settings, they were set to strict with the dongle and caused problems all the time.

Caporegime
OP
Next time you're connected mate, can you run a test at www.speedtest.net? I'm just curious as to what latency and speed you're getting :).

Will do at the weekend, problem is here during the week. There is so many people using it is sooo slow. Even for browsing.

COD4 did work ok though, and downloaded a 200mb file from live in ~10mins. Only at the weekends though.

Caporegime
Best of luck, when I used one last year I had terrible times using a T-Mobile dongle on my 360. Sometimes is worked ok, other times it wouldn't find any servers at all and was so slow I just quit. GTA4 gave me no end of errors, it would join a server then disconnect, it was due to the strict NAT settings on the dongle, maybe they have sorted that out now and it will be ok.

But be warned it might always be plain sailing.

Soldato
My dad uses one of these as he needs it on the go. Im might impressed with the connection.. generally its a lot better than his home virgin media connection which gets throttled really badly after about 4pm.. till midnight.

Back
Top Bottom