Idle revs? what should it be doing?

Soldato
okay so i passed my test thursday, i was learning in a 1.3 turbo diesel corsa which had quite a bit of roll when just letting up the clutch so it would get me round corners when reversing and into parking bays with no gas.

started drving my gf's 1.2 clio petrol and its idle revs are about 500-600 and when lifting the clutch it hardly moves without any gas (been stalling a lot :mad:).

also the biting point on the clutch is very high almost at the top of the reach of the pedal, is this normal?

any info would be appreciated. thanks

StevenG

Soldato
okay so i passed my test thursday, i was learning in a 1.3 turbo diesel corsa which had quite a bit of roll when just letting up the clutch so it would get me round corners when reversing and into parking bays with no gas.

started drving my gf's 1.2 clio petrol and its idle revs are about 500-600 and when lifting the clutch it hardly moves without any gas (been stalling a lot :mad:).

also the biting point on the clutch is very high almost at the top of the reach of the pedal, is this normal?

any info would be appreciated. thanks

StevenG

Diesels are reputedly easier to drive with no gas because of increased torque, but I haven't driven one and thus haven't experienced it. It's perfectly easy to drive a petrol with no gas though; since you've just passed your test, and on a diesel, I imagine you just need a little more practise with clutch control :)
No comment on the high biting point as I can't remember which way round clutches die :p

Soldato

Put some gas on then!

My instructor bought a brand new petrol Fiesta last week. Same thing happend with me, kept forgetting to use gas and it kept stalling.

Associate
A small petrol engine like that will need 1000-1500 revs to pull away cleanly and quickly. You just need to adjust your driving style to accomodate the different power delivery.

Soldato
Diesels are definetly easier to drive, pulled my Ibiza 1.9 FR loaded with a girlfriend, all her little shelves and books + clothes in the back etc.. + a mattress and wardrobe on the roof rack up a steepish incline in traffic with only the clutch :D

Soldato
OP
Diesels are definetly easier to drive, pulled my Ibiza 1.9 FR loaded with a girlfriend, all her little shelves and books + clothes in the back etc.. + a mattress and wardrobe on the roof rack up a steepish incline in traffic with only the clutch :D

yeah i was stuck in traffic for about an hour in it yesterday stalled about 10 times was annoying the **** out of me. found i was piviting my foot rather than holding it in the air to get the biting point right.

im sure i'll get used to it once ive drove it a bit more.

StevenG

Soldato
You'll definetly learn. I drove a 1.4 Clio a few months ago and was shocked on how poor it was to drive, it may just have been a bad example but the clutch as you say was very high and the gear stick wobbled a lot when driving, almost stalled it a few times as i'm so accustomed to my diesel now but caught it in time. I think i pivot when driving, if you mean your heel is on the floor? Easiest way i think.

Soldato
OP
i know how it works it just feels that its idle revs are a bit low and the bite point on the clutch is high.

im sure i'll get used to it. just wondered if the revs were a little low.

StevenG - thanks for all the info.

Soldato
The clutch may be quite worn and in need of replacement, or maybe just needing adjustment. Or it could just be normal for the car... How many miles has it done?

Soldato
54,000 miles and its a 52 plate

its going to go in for a service soon as theres a few things that need looked at maybe it'll get picked up then.

StevenG

theres nothing wrong with it, 600-750rpm is good for idle speed for small engined petrols. You just need to give it gas. A diesel will have lots of low down torque, a petrol at 750rpm will probably have less torque than a strong guy with a torque wrench.

i had this when i was learning too, did my first 10 or so lessions in a new Fiesta Mk6 which has "anti stall" so the ecu would be giving it gas for me. It worked, so i got used to it, then i moved to a much older fiesta (for a few lessions) which stalled unless i gave it 1500rpm. Same happend when i remapped my ST, antistall removed and i keep nearly stalling it :rolleyes:

Soldato
600 is really pretty low tbh, I'd sort that. As a vaguely related story, my car was idling high, had been for a while, about 1000-1100. Finally got round to diagnosing it the other day, turned out the TPS was completely out of whack, idle position switch wasn't working and the resistance curve was completely on the ****. Fixed it and re-calibrated and now the car not only idles properly but has a dramatically improved throttle response at low opening. Moral of the story really is that something like this can uncover problems which would otherwise go un-noticed. Since this, it's my opinion that it's definitely worth giving any car with a few years under it's belt a once over in the electrical department. Half an hour with a tech manual and a multi-meter and who knows what hidden problems you might find.

Don
play it by ear

you can tell by the sound the engine is making whether or not you've got eough

basically, clutch up, accelerator down :) try and keep the biting point noise the same revs as the idle revs

use clutch control to keep the revs at 1k when you lift off the clutch, just do it slowly, and keep practicing

Hxc

Hxc

Soldato
Something I had to get used to moving from the derv I learnt in to the petrol I drive now. It just takes a little bit to get used to, can easily move around on just the clutch in the mini, just not very fast! The main problem I had was I was giving it too much to pull away and ended up wheelspinning rather a lot (very very easy in my car for some reason, even without dumping clutch/very high revs/shoddy tyres)

It's not really any harder to drive, it makes no difference after about a day when you are used to it.

My idle is about 700rpm when hot and about 1000-1100 when cold, not sure of the reason for variation tbh.

Soldato
OP
just been out in it again tonight. stalled twice in about 2 hours which isnt bad so im slowly getting used to it.

the rpm when idle is 500 so very very slow with just clutch control hence being very easy to stall.

thanks for all the tips and info.

StevenG

EDIT

something else ive noticed when driving it with a heavy foot i have to change at about 4500rpm any higher and it just sceams at me and doesnt go much faster. any reason for this other than it being a smaller car?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom