After Dark Horrorfest 2010

Soldato
Is anyone else hyped to see what films will be part of ADH2010. I've really enjoyed the movies selected since it began 3 years ago, however they are always a little hit and miss.

http://www.horrorfestonline.com/

Trailers are already up for 3 of the movies, Lake Mungo, Dread and The Graves, i'll update this thread as more trailers come online.

Some of my favorites over the years have been The Deaths Of Ian Stone, From Within and the excellent Dying Breed.

For those of you who aren't aware, After Dark Horrorfest is a selection of 8 independent horror movies selected and distributed by After Dark movies once a year. If not for this "horrorfest" some of these movies wouldn't get mainstream distribution.

Films selected in previous years are:

The Abandoned
Dark Ride
The Gravedancers
The Hamiltons
Penny Dreadful
Reincarnation
Unrest
Wicked Little Things

Borderland
Crazy Eights
The Deaths Of Ian Stone
Lake Dead
Mulberry Street
Nightmare Man
Tooth & Nail
Unearthed
Frontier(s)

The Broken
Slaughter
Perkins 14
Butterfly Effect 3: Revelations
From Within
Autopsy

Dying Breed
Voices

The ones in bold are those that I personally consider to be the best. Another good thing about these movies is the horror doesn't always stem from the gore/violence, there is a lot of psychological material thrown in here as well.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I remember seeing 2008's Horrorfest DVD advertised on Amazon but it cost about £60 so I gave it a miss.

You can just pick up the movies individually if you want, which i'd recommend. While some of the films are excellent, some of them are utter rubbish and not too sure why they get picked.

Associate
Well I wouldn't say I was hyped. Ever, about anything in the Afterdark range. It should surely have died after 2007s offerings (none of which you highlighted :) )
I always thought this series was set up to give budding new filmakers a bit exposure. Nope.
I've not seen half of them, due to negative reviews or stuff being unobtainable in the UK & too overpriced to bother importing.
Not seen any from the 2009 range, Dying Breed is out this month in the UK(?) the only one I'll watch. Not interested in the 2010 fest yet cause there's so much other stuff out between now & Apri-ish when they'll get the dvd treatment :)

Wrong Turn 3, Hills Run Red, Pontypool, Night of the Creeps, Trick or Treat, Book of Blood, The Offspring, Thaw. And that's just October.

:)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Not seen any from the 2009 range, Dying Breed is out this month in the UK(?) the only one I'll watch. Not interested in the 2010 fest yet cause there's so much other stuff out between now & Apri-ish when they'll get the dvd treatment

Trust me, give the others I highlighted from 2009 a go, they're really quite good.

Wrong Turn 3, Hills Run Red, Pontypool, Night of the Creeps, Trick or Treat, Book of Blood, The Offspring, Thaw. And that's just October.

Pontypool is surprisingly good, considering it's all set in a single radio station...you literally see nothing but it's chilling.

Book Of Blood is an absolute joke and i normally love clive barker.

Soldato
I love the horrorfest, movies made especially for b horror loving freaks like me! :D
I always watch them all, some are a letdown and some are little gems.
I agree with the above though, book of blood sucks.

Soldato
OP
Sweet...another film has been added to the line-up...

I am always exctied when a foreign movie gets added, without doubt foreign horror is leagues ahead of any american nonsense.

Los Angeles, CA (October 1, 2009) — After Dark Films CEO Courtney Solomon has announced that After Dark has acquired the Norwegian psychological horror title Hidden after inking a deal with NonStop Films AB. The film marks the fourth title for After Dark’s latest installment of Horrorfest: 8 Films to Die For. Pål Øie (Dark Woods) directed from a script he co-wrote with Brio Flint. The film stars one of Norway’s most prominent actors Kristoffer Joner (Next Door and upcoming Pax) who leads a cast including Cecilie Mosli, Anders Danielsen Lie, Bjarte Hjelmeland and Karin Park. Jan Aksel Angeltvedt of Alligator Film produced the film.

Hidden is the story of Kai Koss who upon the death of his cruel mother unwillingly returns to the small town he ran away from 19 years ago. He is left in charge of the family home and the dark secrets that come with it. Kai soon finds himself tangled up in a series of murderous events that are beyond anyone’s control and his troubles begin to overwhelm him. He has spent the past two decades trying to forget a tortured past only to find that there are some things that you just can’t run from.

Soldato
Horrorfest stuff has always been pretty much forgettable except for a few. Not particularly psyched about the 2010 movies, to be honest. I've already seen "Dread", which is good enough but don't think I'd bother watching it again.

Soldato
OP
Another one has been added...so far not really too excited this year, last years movies were probably the best overall.

"Los Angeles, CA (November 13, 2009) — After Dark Films CEO Courtney Solomon has announced that After Dark has acquired the teen revenge thriller The Final after inking a deal with Agora Entertainment. The film is the sixth title to be included in After Dark’s latest installment of Horrorfest: 8 Films to Die For. Joey Stewart makes his directorial debut working from a script written by Jason Kabolati. The film stars Marc Donato (Degrassi: The Next Generation), Jascha Washington, Whitney Hoy, Lindsay Seidel and Justin Arnold. Jason Kabolati of Agora Entertainment produced while Edward Lewis Von Hohn and Bill Randle served as executive producers on the film.

In The Final, the scenic Workley Ranch in Rocky Branch, TX, becomes the setting for retribution and revenge. In the midst of a wild costume party, five previously powerless and picked upon students are giving a “Final Exam” with just one question: “What did you do to deserve this?”

“This haunting and vengeful film is a perfect addition to this year’s line-up. Anyone who has experienced the difficulties of high school will find themselves empathizing with both the nerds and the popular kids alike“, stated After Dark EVP Stephanie Caleb.

Director Joey Stewart went on to say, “The Final is about being picked on, bullied, and tormented, and the retaliation and revenge that it incurs. As the characters feel that life has no meaning, they make a pact for revenge that will teach these kids a valuable life lesson. It’s about what happens when people are pushed to the brink of despair, and the consequences that the responsible parties must face.”

Associate
Trust me, give the others I highlighted from 2009 a go, they're really quite good.

None of the other 2009 ones ticked my fancy, though I did watch Autopsy & Dying Breed, neither really did anything for me especially Dying Breed & I usually love my survivalist horror :)

I need to do a bit of a read up on the 2010 line up, but looking at the posters, not excited about anything. The Reeds maybe. The Final? No way. I don't wanna see another Tormented.

There's still quite a few a few other movies away from the AfterDark range that I'd like to see, Paintball, Train, Demonic Toys 2, Pandorum, Stepfather unrated :)

Soldato
None of the other 2009 ones ticked my fancy, though I did watch Autopsy & Dying Breed, neither really did anything for me especially Dying Breed & I usually love my survivalist horror :)

I need to do a bit of a read up on the 2010 line up, but looking at the posters, not excited about anything. The Reeds maybe. The Final? No way. I don't wanna see another Tormented.

There's still quite a few a few other movies away from the AfterDark range that I'd like to see, Paintball, Train, Demonic Toys 2, Pandorum, Stepfather unrated :)

The Reeds is probably the only one that's got my attention. The Final...possibly.

Of the others you've mentioned, don't bother with Train, Pandorum or The Stepfather. They're all terrible. ESPECIALLY The Stepfather.

Back
Top Bottom