Motorcycle Sports Touring Tyres

Soldato
After some thoughts/opinions on sports touring tyres. My FZ6 is currently running on Bridgestone BT020's and I've squeezed 4500 miles out of them. There isn't a great deal of life left in the rear so I'm looking at getting them replaced next week. I know the BT020's have been replaced with BT021's but I've read they aren't much different and it didn't take mine long to square off.

So.... my options are (prices taken from Motorcycle Tyres UK)

Avon Storm £228

Bridgestone BT020/021 £212/£230

Conti Road Attack £208
Conti Motion £190

Dunlop Roadsmart £248

Metzeler Roadtec Z6 £262

Michelin Pilot Road 2 £256

Pirelli Angel £248

I'm tempted with the Conti Road Attacks given the price and good reviews. What do you guys think?

Associate
I have to say go for the Pilot Road 2s, had them on my VFR800, done about 8k on the front, probably another 2/3k left in it and had the rear changed 1.5k ago (first did about 6.5-7k) brilliant tyres, great in the wet. But £256 is a bit steep, i paid £210 for a pair fitted by Wheelhouse Tyres.

Soldato
Second vote for Pilot road 2's . Done 2k so far and dont look worn at all . can get em all the way to edge and no slides or anything dodgy . Heard a lot of good stuff about roadmsarts as well .

But yer prices are a lot. I paid 195 fitted for Pilot roads just a few months ago .

Persil

Soldato
Dunlop Roadsmarts (you can get them much cheaper than that) all the way.
Best tyres I`ve used and are approaching the 9k or 10k mark.

Otherwise, Pilot Road 2`s are also brilliant but have more of a sporty profile.

Associate
I have to say go for the Pilot Road 2s, had them on my VFR800, done about 8k on the front, probably another 2/3k left in it and had the rear changed 1.5k ago (first did about 6.5-7k) brilliant tyres, great in the wet. But £256 is a bit steep, i paid £210 for a pair fitted by Wheelhouse Tyres.

I would agree with you on the Pilot Road 2's. I used to run BT020's however i just wasnt getting the mileage that i was aiming for. My riding is mainly around commuting, but also having a recreational ride at the weekend.

Changing to Road Pilots was the best decision ever. I'm now at 9k on the front and looking at the tread there is quite a bit left (my guess is around another 1-2k). I get around the same as W!ll for back tire mileage (6.5-7k).

Bike is a CBR 600 F5

Soldato
I have Avon Storms on the ZX12 - very impressed. Done nearly 4k on them and barely any squaring off. Hoping to get about 7k out of them, and will replace with either the same, or the Roadsmarts, which top every single review I've read.

Fact is though, theres not really a bad tyre out there any more - at least with the major brands.

Soldato
It's all day comfy for me :) I did fit helibars to it which raise the bars about an inch, which made the difference between 200 mile days and all day riding. It's far more comfy than say the gsxr750 I had. I've also just fitted a givi rack for an upcoming euro tour next month.

I've had the bike 7 months now, and it remains the only bike that still shocks me with it's power, but in a good way. It's an easy bike to ride steadily, or in touring mode, but when you do provoke it its just astonishes me with it's ferocity and handling ability.

Don't think I'll ever sell it.

Soldato
BT20's are 6 years old in terms of technology, there's little point in fitting them unless your happy with the price / performance you already know about. My vote would be for the Avon Storms, modern technology with a decent balance of tyre life over handling. Storms were the tyre choice of Hyabusa owners the last time I checked, and they've been what I've used my ZX12, Speed Triple & Fazer 1000.

Soldato
Sorry a little off topic but how are you finding your ZX12R comfort wise ? i have the zzr1200 but im always up for a change :)

Personally I'd see little point in making that change especially if comfort is the issue, spend a bit on getting the suspension on your current bike sorted for your weight & riding style.

Soldato
It's the horses that interest me :D)

Thats fine, me I've gone past that stage, I'd rather have a bike that suits my needs in terms of power, torque, handling etc for the roads I ride my style of riding. I'd rather have a well sorted road bike than have to adapt my body and riding style to a super-sports bike which only the minority of riders can make use of.

/Edit - my riding history includes a ZX12-R, the original Fireblade, the RRY Fireblade, a Triumph Speed Triple and a Fazer 1000 (among many others)

Last edited:
Soldato
Thats fine, me I've gone past that stage, I'd rather have a bike that suits my needs in terms of power, torque, handling etc for the roads I ride my style of riding. I'd rather have a well sorted road bike than have to adapt my body and riding style to a super-sports bike which only the minority of riders can make use of.

/Edit - my riding history includes a ZX12-R, the original Fireblade, the RRY Fireblade, a Triumph Speed Triple and a Fazer 1000 (among many others)

I was being flipent with my comment m8 im 45 years old and been riding for over 25 years was just having a bit of fun but was curious on the comfort :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom