• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

What would my idle power consumption drop to ???

Soldato
My PC power consumption is 300watts at idle with my SLI 8800gtx cards..

What would my PC idle power consumption drop to if i replaced my two 8800gtx with a single ATI 5870 GPU card ??

(I would take one my 8800gtx's out to see how much the power consumption drops..But it not that easy as there both watercooled and jointed together by the water cooling tubing..)

Last edited:
Associate
Using the figures from this 8800GTX test
http://www.hardware.info/en-UK/articles/am9na2pxZA/nVidia_GeForce_8800_GTX_Test/18

It looks like each GTX pulls 75w when idle - so that would be 150W.

Based on this image:

ajkx82.png

Which shows the 5870 idling at 14.7w

Loading with Furmark [about as much as it is ever likely to be pushed] it would draw as much on full synthetic load as your current system does just idling.

I know the 8800GTX figures are estimates, but I wouldn't expect them to be that far out in the real world.

Given that you have two of them, a single 5870 would be a serious power saving even under load - and at idle, it would drop your power usage by well over 100W, and under load, by a good 170w by my dodgy maths! :eek:

Soldato
OP
I know the 8800GTX figures are estimates, but I wouldn't expect them to be that far out in the real world.

Given that you have two of them, a single 5870 would be a serious power saving even under load - and at idle, it would drop your power usage by well over 100W, and under load, by a good 170w by my dodgy maths! :eek:
Thanks StevenRaith

I want try get my system to around 150watts idle if i can....
(Thinking of going back to air cooling as well,that would save about another 20watts)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom