Petition for TV campaign to educate road users about motorway lane discipline

Soldato
My friend posted this on Facebook: http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/motorway-disp/

We ask the government to use some of its television advertising budget to educate road users about lane discipline, especially on motorways.

If the majority of road users were properly educated about the importance of returning to the left after performing an overtake manoeuvre, many traffic problems on our roads and motorways would be alleviated.

All to often do people believe in the "slow lane", "middle lane" and "fast lane" fallacy, and it slows things down - a detriment to every other road user, not just those who understand lane discipline.

This is particularly important with regard to motorways, where motorway driving is not compulsory education for new drivers.

Don't just sign it! Post it to Facebook, Twitter, forums, whatever

Last edited:
Soldato
I made a thread about this quite a while ago...I'll sign, but I'm not sure it will make any difference. When, after all, was the last time this government actually submitted to the will of the people it supposedly served? ;)

Soldato
Ok, when was the last time they did something which would take more than just half an hour knocking up an apology letter, and actually require investment, a change in policy and the introduction of new doctrine :p

Still...signed.

G J

G J

Associate
Signed, depends if they can pry any funds away from speed camera's :p

I'm amazed at how motorway driving isn't taught when learning to drive, also basic car maintenance should be a part of it also.

Soldato
Signed, depends if they can pry any funds away from speed camera's :p

I'm amazed at how motorway driving isn't taught when learning to drive, also basic car maintenance should be a part of it also.

Lane discipline is taught on dual carriageways and it also forms part of the theory test.

The initial education isn't the problem - its the attitude of drivers. My theory is there are 2 types of lane hoggers. The first are the ones that know they're doing it, but don't care. Generally reserved for more expensive cars, their time is too precious to bother moving over. The second group are the people who are blissfully ignorant - a more diverse group (from young women to old men) but they all share the "quality" that they think they're driving perfectly properly.

Advertising might get through to the latter group but will do nothing for the former group, unless they rename the middle lane the "Gay lane" or the "peasant lane". Still, signing it now because some action is better than no action

Soldato
Left hand on horn, wind window down and display a middle finger while passing

i honestly cant see that working either :eek: i just remembered last sunday, getting onto the m6 at gone 9pm and traffic was flowing at 30mph... purely because people couldnt use the lanes properly and due to two morons in lane one and two travelling side by side at 60 something miles in the distance, everyone else was having to pass in lane three. the m6 was a mess for 40 miles +

and the 4 lane section of the m1 at the london end... morons sitting in lane 3 doing 70 with nothing on their near side

cant stand them and the general ignorance does scare me. how can brits in general be so crap and driving on motorways? i can understand essex being terrible, but i swear the north is getting as bad

Soldato
I know what you mean - I was on the way to work the other day on a 2 lane dual carriageway, I came up the inside lane and there was a car in the outside lane going a lot slower than me. So, I slowed down and pulled out behind them, keeping a safe distance. I sat there for a little while and realised they weren't going to move over, so 2 quick flashes of the headlights to say "I'm here, move over please"..... another mile or so down the road, they still dont move over, so a long blinding flash to say "get the **** out of my way".
Still nothing, so I move back over to the middle lane, make sure its clear ahead and pass them. Cue flashing and gesticulating at me as if I'm the one in the wrong :eek:
What the hell is wrong with some people?

Associate
Oh god yes please.. driving to manchester from the wirral in the day the other day was awful... some points the traffic was slowing to 50 because a lorry decided to over take another one after literally captapulting out of his slipstreaming seemingly doing 1 mph faster.. not helped by the fact that the person in the fast lane decided to only go about 5 mph faster than the over taking truck and then to stay there for about a minute...

Ironically I saw a "Don't hog the middle lane" thing on the info boards.

Soldato
dont hog the middle lane? wtf is that supposed to mean

you just need a sign saying "use the left hand lane unless youre overtaking"

jeremy kyle speak = fail

Back
Top Bottom