P5Q Pro Sound Probs

Associate
Not sure what's happened, have been working fine ever since I got the board, but now my microphone has stopped working. Using onboard sound, tried both front and back audio connections. Whenever i try to record or when speaking on vent all that is heard is a strange electrical static.
Tried some different drivers but really not sure what to try next.
Using Vista 64

Associate
Checked all the settings?
Made sure that microphone is default in windows sound?
Checked that quality is 48khz 16bit?
Ticked the box for enhancement DC Offset Cancellation?
Checked that the microphone level is full and microphone boost set to a reasonable number (0 - 20db)?
Tried telling realtek drivers to separate all input jacks?

I'm not sure that one section of your audio solution can go kaput without effecting the rest of it, maybe your microphone has conked out (wire might have been pulled inside the jack)?

Associate
I would do more thorough testing, like throwing in a linux flavour Live CD to see if the problem persists before screaming at the hardware.

7 times out of ten its the drivers or an "update" fix.

Associate
OP
Checked all the settings?
Made sure that microphone is default in windows sound?
Checked that quality is 48khz 16bit?
Ticked the box for enhancement DC Offset Cancellation?
Checked that the microphone level is full and microphone boost set to a reasonable number (0 - 20db)?
Tried telling realtek drivers to separate all input jacks?

I'm not sure that one section of your audio solution can go kaput without effecting the rest of it, maybe your microphone has conked out (wire might have been pulled inside the jack)?

Not sure how to do this
Yep it is
Yep it is
Yep tried all sorts of settings here, when low no static isd recorded only when volume and gain is set high
Again not sure where option for this is

Tried a few headsets and mics so it's definitely a problem with drivers or the onboard itself

Associate
Nah, youre missing the point.
It WAS working for 3 days.
The it STOPPED working, why would drivers help? :confused:

I think you have missed mine. Your issue is different, the OP still gets sound.

Eliminating the OS from the bagful of factors would help prove that it is or is not the drivers. (Ubuntu 9.04 Live CD)

Windows Update could easily have a driver, you click accept, next thing you know, nothing is working right. I've seen it happen on my old s478 SiS with onboard sound. It turned all sound into crackling. I learned my lesson to stick to drivers that I have downloaded.

By the way Crysalis, is the crackling sound there even when the Microphone is unplugged? Does it making a popping noise or anything like that when unplugging it?

Associate
Oh and remember to check ventrilo settings:
28vdagx.jpg

And use the monitoring or test section for easier troubleshooting.

These are the best suggestions I can think off for troubleshooting this issue.

If it is the board, Asus gives 3 year warranty for motherboards through the reseller.

Last edited:
Can't type for toffee
Don
I've had issues recently with mine too.

Every now and again the Audio manager has a bit of a spaz and I get the "you have connected an audio device to port" a handfull of times. Also realised recently that if the jacks at the back are moved slightly then the Audio manager reports things being plugged into port theyre not, sometimes even reports more things connecetd than actually are.

I also hear Asus mobo RMAs have been a nightmare :(

I really want to return this under RMA as my understanding is a 1 year warranty on Mobos and mine must be nearing its end. MEans I will be completely without a PC tho and knowing my experiences of RMAs to Asus that maybe a while :(

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom