Twilight light trails

Associate
Here's one from me - my first time sharing on here (apart from one comp entry) :) It's nothing particularly original, and not technically brilliant by any stretch, but somehow I think I like it.

C&C welcome.

IMG_4901_p1s.jpg

Soldato
Very nice, looks good with the sky in the shot.

I keep meaning to have a go at this, just finding a stretch of motorway thats unlit could prove difficult.

Associate
OP
This is just on the A5 dual carriageway near to my house - no need for a special journey to a motorway where quite often there are too many street lights :) I've done it from the same spot once before (the only other time I've tried to capture light trails) but it was properly dark then, and the shot was quite boring without the sky.

This was taken at just before 8pm a couple of weeks ago, shortly after sunset. 450D + 18-55IS kit lens, f/8, 30secs, ISO100 @18mm. Ideally could have done with a remote to use bulb mode, and a modest ND filter as I think a 3 or 4 minute exposure would have been nice to capture more consistent car lights.

Associate
I echo the comments above, great shot. I'm no expert so all i can say is that for me the sky has been beautifully captured and 'sets off' the light trails perfectly. I'd be very happy with this shot - i really should have a go at this!

Associate
Looks great! I was looking for a camera a couple of days ago with a mate and he was asking the salesman about twilight trails and i laughed at him and said "when and why would you ever use that?". I stand corrected :)

Associate
OP
Have you considered taking an intial frame to try and get the detail out of the blacks on either side?

You mean try to recover the details in the blacks? I hadn't previously thought of this, but conceptually I quite like the dark elements to the photo. Do you have an example of your suggestion?

Back
Top Bottom