• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

4890 to 260/275?

Associate
Thinking of getting shot of my 4890 and going back to a GTX260/275 due to several minor issues. Thing is there appears to be a severe shortage of stock of either on here and all that's left is the rather crappy slow versions.

Question is, how fast does a 260 need to be core/memory wise to match a stock 275?

So effectively does this

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-081-EA&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=927

equal this

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-015-SK&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=1410

also if deciding between the EVGA 260 which has a faster core or the Gigabyte 260 which has the faster memory and shaders, which should rule?

Last edited:
Associate
That SSC is probably about the same as the 275 you linked. I found my old GTX 260 (192sp) at 720MHz core was marginally quicker than a stock GTX 280 (what I upgraded to)

What issues are you having with the 4890 as it's a really bad time to be buying current gen cards

Associate
Well the only difference I can see is the fact the EVGA brand is superior :D and an extra 24 cores in the 275 BUT the core clock and shader clock is slightly higher in the 260

I would go for the EVGA

What is wrong with the 4890? You won't get much out of upgrading from that

Associate
OP
I really miss having per-app 3D profiles for games that the ATi CCC does not offer. Also I'm a bit annoyed at several key titles such as NFSS, Anno, Batman etc are hampered by sub-par performance or missing features on ATi hardware. I do not want to spend more than about £50 so looking at next-gen cards is not an option at the moment.

To say everyone says they are such a good card, I'm finding it amazingly hard to shift on the MM.

Much difference in noise levels between the three quoted btw?

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah its a shame about those titles I am in the same boat with need for speed shift :(

Unfortunately 'the way its meant to be played' is evident in the titles :(, I am sort of on the same ground as you, I want to get an nvidia because they always play the games well but I wouldn't want to buy a GT200 as the GT300 are 2010 but then I don't want to wait for them so I have ordered a 5850 instead haha, also I do not want to support nvidia with their closed standards and what not

Associate
OP
Yeah its a shame about those titles I am in the same boat with need for speed shift :(

Unfortunately 'the way its meant to be played' is evident in the titles :(, I am sort of on the same ground as you, I want to get an nvidia because they always play the games well but I wouldn't want to buy a GT200 as the GT300 are 2010 but then I don't want to wait for them so I have ordered a 5850 instead haha, also I do not want to support nvidia with their closed standards and what not

I understand and I would love to order a 5850 but never been a big fan of CCC and tray tools doesn't work properly under Windows 7 last time I checked.

Thing is if I want to play the games I already own and have them looking and performing their best, rightly or wrongly I have to look to nVidia. If I want to play an older title that does not have AA/AF etc built into the menu, I have to remember to mess around in the CCC and then remember to put it all back again when I'm done playing that one game.:(

Caporegime
To say everyone says they are such a good card, I'm finding it amazingly hard to shift on the MM.

I think at the current time you will find all cards like that difficult to shift in MM. People are waiting for the 5850 to come out or even to drop down to £150.

Why buy a directx 10.1 old technology card for £120 today when a little bit more money will get you next gen which blows it away?

I've seen GTX260 216 cores sell for under £100 nowadays.

Caporegime
yeah but it's still one of the fastest single cards available and I'm struggling to shift it for more than £100....:(

Sometimes it's timing. I've advertised stuff for weeks with regular price drops with no buyers. Relist it a few weeks later at original price and it sold within an hour.

D13

D13

Associate
Thinking of getting shot of my 4890 and going back to a GTX260/275 due to several issues. Thing is there appears to be a severe shortage of stock of either on here and all that's left is the rather crappy slow versions.

Question is, how fast does a 260 need to be core/memory wise to match a stock 275?

So effectively does this

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-081-EA&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=927

equal this

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-015-SK&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=1410

also if deciding between the EVGA 260 which has a faster core or the Gigabyte 260 which has the faster memory and shaders, which should rule?

I would go as far to say that pretty much any standard 216 shader gtx260 could at least equal that oc.

I recently re-formatted and forgot my previous oc, i just stuck the core on 700, shader clock 1400 and memory clock 1100 (2200 effective).

Didnt bother testing it, just knew it would work fine and it does, with stock fan settings and good temps. gtx 260 for me has been so damned solid

Caporegime
yeah but it's still one of the fastest single cards available and I'm struggling to shift it for more than £100....:(

As the key is to sell before the new hits, as said above, be very difficult to shift and old tech card now that the new is out, and especially if you want more than £100 for it, as the 5850 is only around £200 and wallops it, so everyone will just go for that at not much more.

Last edited:
Caporegime
As the key is to sell before the new hits, as said above, be very difficult to shift and old tech card now that the new is out, and especially if you want more than £100 for it, as the 5850 is only around £200 and wallops it, so everyone will just go for that at not much more.

Me and you are experts on the old graphics card shuffle! ;)

In fact, I have until now always sold my old card for the same or more money than my new card (buying other peoples last gen high end card)

eg bought a 2nd hand EVGA 8800GTS KO 320Mb for £125, sold for £145 before getting a 8800GT for £117 the following week.

Sold the 8800GT for £110 and got a 4870 for £125

Sold the 4870 for £128 and got my current EVGA SC GTX260 216SP for £145.

If I could have being bothered to, I should have sold my GTX 260 a few weeks ago for not much less than I paid for it and then looked at buying a dirt cheap GTX285 or 4890 now but "'er indoors" said I wasn't allowed to turn the living room into a pc repair workshop for a few months :(

Associate
don't suppose you'd be interested in straight swapping that EVGA 260 for a XFX 4890 would you?
I have recently done what you are planning for the very same reasons (poor Ati drivers) and I have no regrets. I went from a 4870 to a 275 and I now have far less problems in games.

Associate
OP
you sure you've got that the right way round? Have just installed my new GTX260 and it runs Shift so much better than the 4890 its laughable. Despite increasing the AA for 4x to 8x and the AF for 8x to 16x it now runs at a constant and I mean constant 75fps. On the 4890 I'd get 60-65 regularly dipping into sub 30 territory if there was a bunch of stuff on screen.

That's one game it's fixed for me anyway.

Caporegime
You do know you can set up profiles, if you want, one for every game, then when you want to play a game set that profile, you can also set the profile to start with the .exe for any game you want. Which takes, basically seconds.

Its mostly easiest to set a , full eye candy profile without a game, you right click on system tray icon, profiles, click the one you want, done. Have one called eye candy forcing AA, any games you play often have it set to start with the .exe. You can really do anything you need and force any settings you want in any game, which takes all of a matter of seconds.

Set the settings you want for a game, go to options>profiles>profile manager, add a name for profile and add application if you want to.

Infact, just looking I forgot, it will open any app you want when you enable the profile. WHich actually gives you a handy way to select all your games from a compact list from one click off system tray.

Then again, I only ever use profiles for clock speeds, I never bothered with profiles on Nvidia cards at all previously.

Associate
i got a 100 + 8 quid postage on the bay like 3-4 days ago for a normal XFX 4890. And that went within 2 hours of me posting it up (buy it now).

Wasnt impressed with Xfire.

single 4890 i like though :)

Back
Top Bottom