May have to drop out of college

Caporegime
I joined a course this September as I was going for far too long with no job so I thought this way I could add something more to my CV and take the student grant to keep my going whilst there and take any part-time job that opened up in that time.

The tutor at college gave me a form to fill in and sent to Student Finance to claim the grant. Apparently, it was the wrong one, so I'm now left a few weeks in with any money I had nearly gone from petrol, food etc during those weeks and the chances of now being able to apply and be considered or offered the grant I need slim to none.

I have called around every place I can think of in the area for any jobs, part-time or full-time and they either have none available or say they have so many applicants already that they're not taking anymore. It's been this way for months.

Or in other words, I'm up **** creek without a method of propulsion.

I just needed to vent...

Soldato
Most univerisities have hardship funds they give to students who qualify, if your dad isn't Bill Gates you've got a chance, and if you can prove over the last 6 months you've managed your money well and are actually completely skint and will have to leave if you don't get a grant you may well be sucessfull

Man of Honour
Hardship funds as mentioned are usually quite a good option, speak to your local student services and they should try to help. There might also be some unclaimed bursaries of various descriptions - you'll probably have to jump through some hoops to get them but again your friendly local student services are best placed to advise you on the matter.

Soldato
I joined a course this September as I was going for far too long with no job so I thought this way I could add something more to my CV and take the student grant to keep my going whilst there and take any part-time job that opened up in that time.

The tutor at college gave me a form to fill in and sent to Student Finance to claim the grant. Apparently, it was the wrong one, so I'm now left a few weeks in with any money I had nearly gone from petrol, food etc during those weeks and the chances of now being able to apply and be considered or offered the grant I need slim to none.

I have called around every place I can think of in the area for any jobs, part-time or full-time and they either have none available or say they have so many applicants already that they're not taking anymore. It's been this way for months.

Or in other words, I'm up **** creek without a method of propulsion.

I just needed to vent...

Can you answer a few question Skips
[A] What Uni are you at and how far is it from where you live?
Is there no public transport available
[C] Can you not car share with anyone who lives near by
[D] When are you expecting your grant from the SLC? Have you contacted them
[E] have you explained the situation to your tutor or head of department? They may well give you dispensation
[F] Have you no overdraft facility, have you contacted your back about a short term loan

Seems like you've got TONS of options but you've not given us any real details :(

Soldato
hardship funds. Should keep you going till you get the grant through.

This. Used one myself after my knob jockey landlord bumped our rent up 50% (dont ask).

If you're ever really stuck then you most uni's will be cool about you going to the chaplaincy who will swing you £50 or so to at least eat. Flatmate had to do this when his wallet was stolen as he was from oz and it took a while to sort out.

Caporegime
OP
Can you answer a few question Skips
[A] What Uni are you at and how far is it from where you live?
Is there no public transport available
[C] Can you not car share with anyone who lives near by
[D] When are you expecting your grant from the SLC? Have you contacted them
[E] have you explained the situation to your tutor or head of department? They may well give you dispensation
[F] Have you no overdraft facility, have you contacted your back about a short term loan

Seems like you've got TONS of options but you've not given us any real details :(

It's the Southern Regional College here in Newry. About 4/5 miles from where I live.

There is public transport, but it costs more than driving does. Seriously. Tenner of petrol lasts me about a week.

I could car share, yes, but not for the return journey so I wouldn't be saving much, would be relying on someone else and would need to be ready an hour early.

I had been given no set time the last time I contacted them and only today have I received a letter saying that they were given the wrong form for my course.

Haven't got a chance to talk to tutor yet. Only came home to the letter at 5pm.

Don't have an overdraft and a loan is absolutely last-resort. I've been brought up to stay debt free as much as possible.

My main costs I need covered are the £10/w for petrol and then insurance ontop of that although I hope to get a part time job asap to cover that or it will have to go too.

Last resort is selling the car.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm confused, are you doing a further education course or higher education. In fact just let me know which course you are taking, its easier :p The reason I ask is that you are necessarily going to get student loans/grants depending on your course type.

You can hit the job centre and see if you are elegible for income support and more pressingly a crisis loan. I'd do this asap, as a crisis loan can be turned around same day.

Back
Top Bottom