AMD Spec help needed

Associate
Hi guys!

Can you help me spec an OC Mobo, RAM and Cooler for an AMD Phenom II X4 Quad Core 965 Black Edition 3.40GHz (Socket AM3) CPU?

Appreciate any help. Thanks.

Soldato
I have just been looking at those boards mentioned Its_Me, I know that the Crosshair has all maner of bells and whistles, but in all seriousness what is the difference between that and the Evo? (apart from £50)

Soldato
I have just been looking at those boards mentioned Its_Me, I know that the Crosshair has all maner of bells and whistles, but in all seriousness what is the difference between that and the Evo? (apart from £50)

Not enough to say go for the Crosshair tbh.

All boils down to features and price point.
if you want a really great board to overclock with and can drop a few features, then the final option(and prob cheapest) ;
Asus M4A78TD-M Evo
Seen this as low as £55 on a couple of sites.

Associate
Am I right in saying the integrated graphics on that can be used as a bit of a crossfire boost, or did I dream it?

Yes its called Hybrid Crossfire, but only applied to the 790GX (G for graphics) chipset not the 790FX (F for... erm... Fast :)) The performance boost with hybrid crossfire get smaller the better the card put in. i.e. if you slap a 5850 in there, it would give something like a 0.00001% boost (in fact it wouldn't work at all but you get my point).

Some nfo here: http://www.amd.com/us/products/technologies/ati-hybrid-graphics/Pages/ati-hybrid-graphics.aspx

Soldato
Thanks for that coalfield.

I have done a bit of research, the Hybrid CrossfireX only works with graphics cards of a very similar style (I think the first two numbers). So the benefits are only for people who thought that integrated graphics would be good enough but want a tiny boost.

So anyone with a decent graohics card would not bother with the integrated graphics at all. The only advantage being that if you graohics card dies you can use the intgrated while waiting for the replacement!

Associate
Between the ASUS boards mentioned, I'd go with the M4A79XTD-EVO - It's got the PCI-E x16 lanes if you wanted to go for Crossfire as well as some other neat features.

The Crosshair III is a cool board, but would you go for more than 2 VGA's?

Soldato
Think you got all the info you need TBH, Although you should consider the gigabyte boards too as they are very good.

As a last point, I would recomend you get a 955BE, rather then the 965BE.

Soldato
I know that this is not my thread but I am intrigued as to why go for the 955 when the 965 is only £5 or at the moment £10 more?

Back
Top Bottom