can i do anything? work overtime question

Associate
I recently got promoted in work and thus they put my wage up by £1200.
This puts me £250 over my works overtime threshold so i cant recieve overtime however I was earning 3-4k a yr in overtime so im actually losing money. Now i havent signed anything for this promotion and I have a letter saying "congrats, the only changes are your job title and salary..original contract still applies" now my original contract sais im entitled to overtime.

usually when work increase peoples wages they put them at the limit of the o/t threshold so they can still earn overtime. Now i work in IT as systems analyst and i often work unusual hours because my work requires it e.g. turning networks off during the day cant be done. I think our new finance director doesnt like me though so has done this for a reason just to tick me off.

at the minute im a bit depressed because im still expected to do the work yet for free.

any advice would be great.thx

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Request a meeting with someone that can help.

Explain the situation and potential loss of earnings, and it'll get sorted :confused:

Associate
OP
Request a meeting with someone that can help.

Explain the situation and potential loss of earnings, and it'll get sorted :confused:

Ill have to do this on my next wage slip me thinks. At the moment ive been getting overtime for the past two months because I brought it up as an issue but the finance director has told my boss definetly not this month.

Caporegime
It's quite common for employees reaching a certain salary level to be not paid overtime anymore. Usually this happens when people reach management grades, where the salary received is for successful delivery regardless of hours worked.

I would say an employee would be within his rights to reject a pay rise but I'm not a lawyer so don't really know - I guess they could withdraw the offer of promotion too though so /shrug. Be a true manager - say you'll work unpaid overtime if you get put on a bonus scheme for successful delivery.

Associate
If you get a meeting i'd say this can be ironed out, probably been overlooked, they will obviously want you to keep working the unsocial hours, as that's when companies want IT stuff done, and they can't expect it for free. Good luck

Soldato
I have a letter saying "congrats, the only changes are your job title and salary..original contract still applies" now my original contract sais im entitled to overtime.

So your contract is the same and you should still be entitled to overtime. Except you are on increased salary.

Have a word with your boss, or say the promotion isnt working out for you as you are coming out with less than before each month (and you need the money for your high morgage or some rubbish)

ntg

ntg

Associate
I recently got promoted in work and thus they put my wage up by £1200.
This puts me £250 over my works overtime threshold so i cant recieve overtime however I was earning 3-4k a yr in overtime so im actually losing money.

Could you please elaborate a bit. So, with the new salary you are getting 1200 pounds a month extra, but previously with overtime you could get up to 1450 extra. Therefore there is the loss of 250 per month? Right?

I don't think you are "losing" money since you are getting paid a higher salary for the same contractual hours. The overtime is a choice (in a rough sense), it's not a given.

As for being expected to do the work for free, that is a bit general. You have been promoted and like most manager level employees you are expected to go the extra mile for no additional compensation. You could -probably- ask for days in lieu due to overtime or discuss the possibility of a bonus. If if none of these options are available being promoted still has the added benefit that you have further options of going higher (thus on an even higher salary that you could ever earn with overtime at your previous position).

Soldato
Could you please elaborate a bit. So, with the new salary you are getting 1200 pounds a month extra, but previously with overtime you could get up to 1450 extra. Therefore there is the loss of 250 per month? Right?

I'm sure he meant £1200 extra a year, not month. If not then i want your job as my take after deductions is £1110 a month

Back
Top Bottom