Ford Focus, Novice buying.

Associate
Right after browsing this side of the forum for the past few weeks or so, ive decided the ford focus is the car for me, 1.6 more specifically.

Now im going to be a first time driver, currently have a full time job, probrably going to be using about 12 miles a day possibly more if i sometimes decide to do the full commute (30miles a day) , and im 23. Budget wise ive got 5k but im gonna have a guess and say first car, dont spend that much ? Incase i smash the thing to pieces

Im liking the newer shape focus's 05 onwards. But a lot of the ones im seeing are starting from about 4.5k, milage around 60k+ , is that about right or ?

Or should i just go cheaper 2002/2003 older shape possibly a bit higher spec but coming to overall cheaper total. Is there any other major diffrences from the 05 onwards ?

Also what milage should i look around when after a 2nd hand car, specifically a focus.

Appreciate the helps. cheers (Novice) :D Bailes

Soldato
You'd get a far bette spec'd Mondeo for £5k than you would a focus. Yes it's a larger car but may well be a viable option.

05 Focus with 60k on the clock is bang on average mileage I would have said so this seems to be about right.

Associate
OP
cheers for the replies all.
Mondeos, yer ill take a look, im about 6ft 3 so getting a bigger car may help, but on the otherhand its a bigger car then what i really need, so im unsure. Something to think about.

Seen some focus 05's for about 4.7k (50 - 70k on the clock) but going privately , what peoples views on going private ? Finding it hard to find anything going from a dealer for anything below 5k, usueally about 5.3k upwards.

Soldato
My mate is 6ft 10 + change and drove my old Focus (52 plate) for a few weeks without complain. The front had tons of space, i'm only about 5 11 and it had loads more travel to go from where i sat. My how time has flown, bought that car with fairly high mileage for its age @ 28K LOL and now newer shape focuses are averaging 70k ? :D

Last edited:
Soldato
You shouldnt struggle to fit in either to be honest.

When I bought my car a while ago, I was looking at Foci first. But then I realised I could get a better, newer, lower mileage mondeo for the same money. It costs the same to tax and insure, fuel economy is between the 1.8TDCI and 1.6 petrol Focus (low 40s average) and performs better than both.

So ask yourself - you say its a bigger car than you need, but what exactly is the downside?

Soldato
My mate is 6ft 10 + change and drove my old Focus (52 plate) for a few weeks without complain. The front had tons of space, i'm only about 5 11 and it had loads more travel to go from where i sat. My how time has flown, bought that car with fairly high mileage for its age @ 28K LOL and now newer shape focuses are averaging 70k ? :D

I know someone who's 7'4" and drives an old Ibiza

Associate
OP
After passing my test 2 weeks ago:D, ive being doing a bit of car searching on focuses, nothing really standing out in terms of quality for money, milage, etc.. im probrably being too picky but i guess thats just me.

These suggestions on looking at mondeos, seem very good, especially when it comes to value for money, although im getting moaned at (too big, powerful for a first car, insurance costs, gas gusslers etc.. )

Would people say its too big/powerful for a first time driver :(

Caporegime
After passing my test 2 weeks ago:D, ive being doing a bit of car searching on focuses, nothing really standing out in terms of quality for money, milage, etc.. im probrably being too picky but i guess thats just me.

These suggestions on looking at mondeos, seem very good, especially when it comes to value for money, although im getting moaned at (too big, powerful for a first car, insurance costs, gas gusslers etc.. )

any car can kill, any car will get poor economy - if driven like a muppet.

Soldato
A car will only kill if you dont respect it, if you wanna rag the nutts of it, speeding along then even a 1.0 litre car will kill you.

If you have common sense and drive sensibly then anything is possible.

Soldato

The Mondeo is no quicker than the Focus, is likely to be cheaper on insurance if anything, and will get very similar MPG, so whoever is moaning at you is talking absolute tosh.

Soldato
Just to repeat what Abyss said - they're no quicker and mpg isnt far off.

Anyone who says "too big for a first car" needs a nail in their forehead - if you're fit to drive you should be able to drive any car, it should take all of 5 minutes to get used to the dimensions of whats around you, makes it no harder to park.

You might also find they're cheaper to insure as bigger cars tend to be a lower risk.

Tell whoever's moaning that they don't have a clue and point out other factors such as safety and practicality.

FWIW, mine costs £300 to insure (24 with 4 years NCB) and I can get 50mpg on a run

Associate
OP
Cheers all. I'll put these points across

Well looking at insurance they seem about 200pound more, but when it comes to actual cost compared to a similar focus (paying for the name focus), it probrably weight out the same, only diffrent being the mpg.

When you guys are referring to MPG not being to disimilar to the focus, what we talking here 1.8, 2.0 ? or both.

Ive got one or two lined up in the next week to possibly see, ghia mondeo £2900, quite nice beigh interior trim and something similar in an LX. Dunno how they LX's compare im guessing preety basic as focus is at LX level.

Back
Top Bottom