End of the road for the big-block "Rat motor"

Caporegime
The factory will now concentrate on new more efficient engines

The environmental nutter crowd claim their first scalp :(

Its not as if there wouldnt be a market for this engine. Hot rold builders and kit car builders across the globe use that engine.

Soldato
Its not as if there wouldnt be a market for this engine. Hot rold builders and kit car builders across the globe use that engine.

Other manufacturers will pick up the tooling and rights to manufacture the engine in small quantities for those that need it (much like happened with the Rover V8) - and there's already millions of these things around, with most parts being available aftermarket anyway! :D

Soldato
A sad, sad day indeed. One more great engine gone ....another limp-wristed eco-weeny piece of crap to join the already rather large selection that already exists.

Why is it that so many things seem to be worse now than they were in the past? ...I find myself in an almost constant bad mood about so many things these days, this is just another one to add to my black-cloud.

Man of Honour
Why is it that so many things seem to be worse now than they were in the past? ...

Because the human mind looks more favourably on the past than it does the present. You will subconciously drop memories of things which were not that great yet retain those of things which were great. The consequence of this is that you end up thinking the past was amazing.

It's why old people sit around and go on about how great it was back in the war. Even though everyone was being killed and the country was on fire.

Soldato
Interesting idea that, sounds plausible enough, It's possibly some what influenced by the fact that I spend much more time looking at the past than most do I imagine. I'm an historian by qualification, although not by trade unfortunately.

Caporegime
[TW]Fox;15589977 said:
Because the human mind looks more favourably on the past than it does the present. You will subconciously drop memories of things which were not that great yet retain those of things which were great. The consequence of this is that you end up thinking the past was amazing.

It's why old people sit around and go on about how great it was back in the war. Even though everyone was being killed and the country was on fire.

Thing is though. we're aware of its shortcommings

and it probably doesnt have a place in the mainstream production, it will still have a use in kit cars the like. As already said though, somebody else will feed this market and pick up the tooling etc.. as the market probably doesnt justify the expense of a whole plant dedicated to it. Needs a much smaller operation to make it profitable.

No time for nonchalance (sp?) when GM are in as much financial trouble as they are.

Soldato
What cc is this engine ??

My sports boat had a 5.7L GM V8 engine...
But there was also a 7.4L used in boats

Edit:The GM big block V8 is the 7.4L....So are they still making the 5.7L V8 ???

Last edited:

JRS

JRS

Soldato
OP
Edit:The GM big block V8 is the 7.4L....So are they still making the 5.7L V8 ???

The LS series small block V8 is still in series production, and you can get the 'classic' small-block 5.7 as a crate motor still. You'll be able to get the big-block as a crate motor from the Goodwrench catalogue still, but it won't be made at the old factory and I really do feel sorry for the 150 guys laid off because of that.

Oh, merry Christmas everybody.

Back
Top Bottom