Spam Blacklisting Issue

Man of Honour
Can anyone offer any ideas?

I have a dynamic IP address (and I don't wish to upgrade to the service where I could have a Static IP) and the range has been Blacklisted. Specifically, Spamhaus PBL.

Now I had this situation once a couple of years ago and I simply rebooted my router/modem so that it picked up another IP and all was well.

I've now rebooted at least a dozen times and the assigned IP is always in a range currently blacklisted.

Is there anything I can do - other than going down the Statis IP route?

Thanks for any help

John

Soldato
Use your ISPs outbound mailservers?

A lot of mailservers will reject mail delivered to them directly from a residential IP block anyway.

Soldato
Can anyone offer any ideas?

I have a dynamic IP address (and I don't wish to upgrade to the service where I could have a Static IP) and the range has been Blacklisted. Specifically, Spamhaus PBL.

Now I had this situation once a couple of years ago and I simply rebooted my router/modem so that it picked up another IP and all was well.

I've now rebooted at least a dozen times and the assigned IP is always in a range currently blacklisted.

Is there anything I can do - other than going down the Statis IP route?

Thanks for any help

John

BT's ip ranges are listed in the PBL, it's a pain as I'd prefer to use my domains SMTP settings but using BT's has never caused a problem unless I forget my u/n and p/w to auth.

Man of Honour
OP
Use your ISPs outbound mailservers?

A lot of mailservers will reject mail delivered to them directly from a residential IP block anyway.

I've not had a problem until earlier this morning, apart from that one minor blip a couple years ago.

I'm using a Register1 VDS mail server. The mail server IP isn't what is being blocked. It's my home router/modem IP that is in the blocked range.

Soldato
I've not had a problem until earlier this morning, apart from that one minor blip a couple years ago.

I'm using a Register1 VDS mail server. The mail server IP isn't what is being blocked. It's my home router/modem IP that is in the blocked range.

If you're using a mailserver as a smarthost to forward all your email through, it shouldn't be an issue that your home IP is blacklisted. Have you had any specific issues arise because your IP is on the PBL?

I suspect that my IP block is on the PBL as well, but send all my mail via a VDS I used based in the US. Set up the spf properly on the domain and I've yet to have a problem.

Man of Honour
There's not an easy fix really, even getting a static IP may not help you much if it's still from a block used for residential/small business users, the typical approach is once a percentage of IPs in the block have been blacklisted the entire block gets blacklisted instead.

Unless you fancy going round getting yourself whitelisted with all the major lists you'll likely still face problems more and more these days.

Man of Honour
OP
If you're using a mailserver as a smarthost to forward all your email through, it shouldn't be an issue that your home IP is blacklisted.
That's what I would have thought.

Have you had any specific issues arise because your IP is on the PBL?
So far I've only seen a [SPAM] annotation against a couple Read: receipts I've received this morning (from important clients). That prompted me to check for blacklisting. The last time this happened, another client couldn't receive my emails at all.

Caporegime
There's something missing here, it shouldn't matter what the originating IP address of the email is, all that should matter is the email server itself. You need to talk to your host.

Soldato
There's something missing here, it shouldn't matter what the originating IP address of the email is, all that should matter is the email server itself. You need to talk to your host.

Correct, it's the mailserver that's trying to make the delivery that gets checked for blacklisting, not the IP address of the originating system. Either you're sending them directly from your home system, or your ISP mailhost has been blacklisted, or your clients have messed up their mailservers' spam checking :)

Back
Top Bottom