Bike servicing - GSXR-750

Soldato
I have a 2001 GSXR-750 which I've not used more than a handful of times over the past two years. While it's been off the road it has been on a stand so neither wheel has been in contact with the floor. The battery is in tiptop condition etc.

It's last service was around 500 miles ago which was around 2 years ago! It's done a little over 5K miles in total.

I want to get out on it a lot more this year. Insurance will be done ASAP as wil tax. It's MOT'd until July.

My question is this. I can't get it in for a service for another Month mainly due to all the local places being booked up. I'm I risking anything by riding it without it having a service before riding it any distance?

I've been quoted £250 for a 'full' service. I usually do oil and filter myself but I'm feeling old and can't be bothered this time. Does that sound about right for a comprehensive service?

Soldato
£250 sounds good for a full service, id ask what that entails though lol, if its just oil filter, oil and spark plus then no do it yourself :p

Personally I would change the oil and filter myself before riding it, you cant be feeling that old! c'mon it takes 15 minuits tops on a gsxr!

Soldato
OP
£250 sounds good for a full service, id ask what that entails though lol, if its just oil filter, oil and spark plus then no do it yourself :p

Personally I would change the oil and filter myself before riding it, you cant be feeling that old! c'mon it takes 15 minuits tops on a gsxr!

They said 'everything' but I do need to check!

I guess I could do the oil and filter lol. I've got both items sitting in my garage!

If it's nice at the weekend I'll dive in.

Soldato
all basic maintanace on bikes is so easy to do yourself there feally is no point in paying someone else to do it for you. Plus you know what parts you have used and that the jobs done correct.

• Oil
  • Filter
  • Spark Plugs
  • Coolant
  • Brake Fluid
  • Brake Pads

All really simple jobs that you can do in an afternoon. I leave any engine stuff to the pros though (belts, valve clearneces etc)

Last edited:
Soldato
£250 to service a bike that's done only 5k sounds a bit expensive to me. with the exception of the oil most of the service items will still have plenty of life in them and no way would the valves need checking. If it were me I'd do the oil & filter change, check the air-filter hasn't been populated with rodents, get some fresh rubber on the wheels and get out there.

Soldato
i wouldnt bother with changing sparks, they arent going to need changing, unless the bike was running lean and rich before and has taken some "wear"

oil, oil filter, check air filter (doubt will need changing), id change the brake fluid, give bike a good clean and general lubing, adjust chain, check tyre pressures/tyres, check brake pad life, if there isnt much fuel in it id be tempted to take the tank off and drain the fuel inside and any crap that has settled in there and replacing with some fresh.

I wouldnt pay £250 for it, the valves aren't going to be needing a check/adjustment for another 10k miles ish anyway, sounds like they want to dry bum you for a oil change

i mean, 5k miles is bugger all

Soldato
if it's not done ought it doesn't need servicing - just ride it.

oil lasts, and spark plugs etc haven't been used, it's not been ridden so filters clean, tyres can last a year or 2 standing and just take it easy to rescrub them back in again then they're fine.

Soldato
OP
if it's not done ought it doesn't need servicing - just ride it.

oil lasts, and spark plugs etc haven't been used, it's not been ridden so filters clean, tyres can last a year or 2 standing and just take it easy to rescrub them back in again then they're fine.

I didn't know if it needed any adjustments. My old CBR needed the shims doing at 16K. I know it's only done 5K but wanted to ask the question.

Back
Top Bottom