Idiots in T-shirts and shorts.

Soldato
Over the last week, I have spotted maybe 5% of bikers wearing protective gear...

I don't currently have my Ducati as it's having a engine rebuild. But, I for one would still wear my leathers in such hot weather. When my girlfriend is driving me around we both see these idiots and laugh.

What would possess someone to wear nothing on a motorbike? Anyone on here that stupid? What are your thoughts?

ags

Associate
I saw someone riding with a girl passenger on the back wearing shorts and a bikini top, over taking me at 70+ coming of the A12.

She was wearing a helmet but what good is a protected head if you fall off and leave your skin all over the road. Idiots

Soldato
OP
It just angers me because yea it's great they are into bikes but if I were to talk to them about our hobby in common I would end up having a go. One slip on the road at 20mph is the start of a very long and painful skin graft to repair there now skinless arms and torso... Just stupid :( Makes me angry.

ags

edit: oh, might I also add, makes us 'smart' bikers look so bad...

Soldato
I dunno but in the 3 months over here (West Coast USA) the most protective gear I've seen a biker wearing is one of those kevlar panel things strapped onto their back and front over a T-shirt :p

I think they're crazy but there we go :p

Associate
Indeed.
My rectifier packed up yesterday, whilst waiting for Mr RAC to give me a boost on Lordship lane > lewisham I saw three or four bikers go past - two nut bars on R1s in shorts and t shirts and no gloves, a shirtless fella with poss armoured shorts and trainers and a woman...omfg...she was on an old Ninja, quite a big lass in shorts and a vest and sidi boots - almost ralphed up my pasty.
I wore leathers on both days this weekend and sweated a lot but dammit I felt safe.

Soldato
Chill out!

Its all about attitude to risk. If you dont crash (and you probably wont) then no harm done. Lots of car drivers think we are mad for riding 'deathtraps' anyway, you're just applying the same logic further up the danger scale.

I'll quite often go to town in t-shirt and jeans with no gloves - its no more dangerous than when I go cycling in just lycra - I got back from a race the other week and my Garmin recorded a top speed of 51mph on a descent - that would have hurt far more!

Another thing to consider is that you will generally ride far more carefully when not fully kitted in leathers - I'll bet far more people are seriously injured hammering round country roads dressed as power rangers than cruising around in jeans and t-shirts (although I'll admit 70mphin shorts is pushing it a bit - flies and bees would hurt at that speed!

Caporegime
Chill out!

Its all about attitude to risk. If you dont crash (and you probably wont) then no harm done. Lots of car drivers think we are mad for riding 'deathtraps' anyway, you're just applying the same logic further up the danger scale.

I'll quite often go to town in t-shirt and jeans with no gloves - its no more dangerous than when I go cycling in just lycra - I got back from a race the other week and my Garmin recorded a top speed of 51mph on a descent - that would have hurt far more!

Another thing to consider is that you will generally ride far more carefully when not fully kitted in leathers - I'll bet far more people are seriously injured hammering round country roads dressed as power rangers than cruising around in jeans and t-shirts (although I'll admit 70mphin shorts is pushing it a bit - flies and bees would hurt at that speed!

ah the old it wont happen to me reasonning.

carry on :rolleyes:

Soldato
You’re wrong! I’m sure they’re all wearing Kevlar armoured tee shirts and shorts, same goes for the trainers/flip-flops and socks! And what you can’t see is that they are also wearing skin toned leather, so it just looks like they’re stupid enough to ride without proper protection :D

Seriously though, I spent the whole weekend riding and was sweating like a rapist when I stopped, but I would never consider riding without kit, I was gob smacked by the amount of female pillions wearing flowing summer dresses too :eek:

Soldato
Chill out!

:eek:,:eek: and :eek:

Soldato
Chill out!

Sorry but that's just wrong on so many levels.

How does any of that that stop other idiots from causing an accident/driving into you?

And yes coming off a push bike at 51mph will be messy, but that's hardly the norm is it.

I'll admit to riding without protection and yes it feels great but is stupidly risky and dangerous. Although that risk is down to the rider, what I don't like seeing is riders letting their pillions on the backs of their bikes like that when they probably aren't aware of how bad it will be if they come off. :mad:

Soldato
Substitute 'leathers' for 'bikes' and see how that sounds.

People / the government could quite easily argue you shouldn't be allowed to ride a bike because its dangerous.

You're saying you shouldn't be able to ride a bike without leathers because its dangerous.

I'm for freedom of choice. I'm fully aware its more dangerous to ride without leathers occasionally, in the same way that I recognise it would be much safer still to travel by car, and safer still to travel by car wearing leathers and a helmet!

Soldato
I rode my bike at 30mph speeds from a friends house to another friends house just over a mile away in shorts and shirt, that is as far and as fast as I would consider riding without full leathers, even then i felt exposed

Soldato
And you didn't end up in a fiery abbrasion filled death?!

I'd be interested to know from the posters above how many of them wear hi-viz jackets too. These are proved to significantly increase the chances of been seen by other motorists, yet hardly anyone wears them due to looking uncool.

Soldato
OP
I wear a high vis on my commute which now no longer takes place, also wear it when its foggy, raining and dark.

Mid day, it's more of a distraction and uncomfortable on road users eyes so I would say it is more dangerous during the daytime with the sun out.

Tbh Sagalout, I am not saying these idiots shouldn't. But you are trying to argue the most stupid point. What happens when you low slide around a roundabout after hitting something stupid like a drain at 20mph? Yea, I agree it is very remote if you are careful, but put the following scenarios in comparison.

A) kitted up = few scuffs on your ranger suit, most annoyance to scuffed fairings
B) shorts and T with trainers and no gloves = no skin on hands as you will most likely put those out to stop you, skin loss where your iron tshirt came up and your chest/black scraped along the road, arms same, legs even worse, probably knee caps gone. Not to mention the trainers that dont support your ankles so you will probably snap one.

Actually, have you ever come off? I have a couple of times, each time was very bad and I can safely say, I was not in fault, nor going silly but it was little things that made a big impact, without gear, I wouldn't be here :)

At the end of the day, anyone wearing nothing does not get a nod from me, I will simply shake my head knowing that one day, they won't be going home in one piece.

ags

Soldato
I fell off once doing about 15mph, it doesnt sound a lot, I was wearing jeans and within about a second the jeans were worn completley through and I ended up with two very large abrasion cuts on my leg where the bike was pressing my leg into the ground as i was sliding, that much damage wearing jeans, crashing at even 30mph wearing just shorts doesnt even bare thinking about

Back
Top Bottom