Boxing and hand / wrist injuries.

Associate
Hi guys,

As some who read my 'getting fit' thread will know I have taking quite a liking to boxing (freestyle kick boxing) but am constantly ending up with pain in my hands and wrists.

I am after some advice on suggestions to minimise damage and improve strengthening of the hands and wrists specifically for good ligament, bone etc strengthening as the muscles are exceeding what they can handle at the moment.

Many thanks
RB

Soldato
Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies guys.

I have been using wraps from the start and use these. They are not much more than elasticated bandages with a thumb loop and a bit of Velcro.

The wrapping techniques I use is here.

The wrap is tight enough to be firm but not tight enough to feel like my hands are throbbing.

As I have never tended to hit much more than keyboard keys my entire 30+ years I would imagine my fists are quite 'soft' and so the bones will go through he micro fracture strengthening period. Part of the problem I am guessing is that after doing some weight training on and off for the last year, my strength it just too much for the 'softness' of my hands :D.

I am mainly using my bag gloves now with the heavy and light bags as, especially with the new light bag at the gym, they tend to strip the skin away from the second knuckle (bottom of the fist) which is not covered by the wraps.

Apart from the occasional miss-strike, mainly on hooks / uppercuts, jarring my wrists, when exercising I have no ill effects. It is usually the next two days and this will continue longer if they have really had a pounding.

Deadlifts are generally in my routine as are pull-ups but due to lack of shoulder strength (3*10 on military press 70lbs - 30Kg, deadlift 134lbs - 61Kg) I am still week with them. Lat pulldowns are fine although I find it is the aching in my hands from doing those that gets me, having to shake it out after.

Cheers for any other advice.

RB

Associate
its maybe more down to form
are you hitting with the two/three biggest knuckles
and not the base of the fingers [common]
and are you punching from the hip and turning your hands

Associate
OP
its maybe more down to form
are you hitting with the two/three biggest knuckles
and not the base of the fingers [common]
and are you punching from the hip and turning your hands

My suspicion as well.

The knuckle of my second finger is protruding maybe 2-3mm further forwards to the rest. I would imagine this would be in most cases the initial point of impact. The knuckles on the fingers either side are about the same distance and the small finger knuckle is back another 1-2 mm.

I am not sure what you mean by connecting at the knuckle or base of the finger. Any diagrams etc to clarify around ?

Yes punching from the hip for the cross and hooks, maybe a little but not much from the jab.

If anyone has any diagrams of proper technique, impact points etc then I would be most grateful.

Cheers
RB

Soldato
Wrist wraps are good, actually I ordered some myself for when I do some certain exercises, I got these: http://www.maximuscle.com/trainingaccessories/wristsupports.html

Because it was my first order with maximuscle too I got 1 of their shakers (http://www.maximuscle.com/trainingaccessories/shaker.html) totally free of charge, which I didn't even expect, so was a nice little bonus when I opened up my package, I needed a new 1 so it saved me a few £. Highly recommend.

Aedus, you're not ordering products directly from their site are you?

Associate
It might be worth trying to wrap your hands like you would for Thai boxing (if you're straps are long enough, sure mine are 5m rather than 2.5m) as it will cover the knuckle you have problems with.

Associate
OP
It might be worth trying to wrap your hands like you would for Thai boxing (if you're straps are long enough, sure mine are 5m rather than 2.5m) as it will cover the knuckle you have problems with.

Any links to a guide ?

From the session last night, both hands are ok although I did jar my wrist a couple of times with the left hook. Top two fingers (ie by the thumb in hammer grip) were connecting with the bag before the rest. I did do the wraps a little tighter and generally only used the gloves over the wraps and not just the wraps.

Cheers
RB

Associate
Associate
OP
Another thing you should do anyway is knuckle push-ups on a hard surface.

Yes, thanks, I will give that a go as well.

But people generally frown at wrapping knuckles if you're in an actual boxing club, rather than at the gym beating up bags.

Why would that be ?.

Oh the wrap instruction is the same technique I use apart from the individual finger separation. I have been using the technique with just a single separation between the second and third fingers.

Cheers
RB

Associate
To be honest I dont actually know, and it seems wrong to protect the hands without protecting the fingers. I've just been told that wrapping your fingers is more of a Thai thing and boxing gyms don't like it very much

Associate
OP
My dad used just hit sand to toughen up his knuckles when he used to box. ;)

Much like the Shaolin monks doing the same. The impact creates microfractures which the body heals and in much the same way as the muscle getting healed strengthens the muscle, the bone repair does the same by increasing bone density. That is what I understand to happen anyway :D.

I imagine the same is happening at the moment with just hitting the bag as my bones are probably very soft.

Cheers
RB

Soldato
I am wrapping Thai Style with finger separations and it works awesome. I would make a video but the net here is a bit too woeful for uploading.

There are "standard" techniques but most people do it differently as preference of needing to protect a certain area more. Sometimes I wrap knuckles more, sometimes less.

I have no idea why a Thai style wrap in a western boxing gym would be frowned upon but tbh that's the sort of crap I could imagine coming from some elitest bunch of people.

Back
Top Bottom