• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Crashing ATI 3850 - Black vertical lines

Associate
Can anyone give me some advice in regards to my crashing ATI 3850 HD video card. I built my current system 2 years ago and have never had any issue with it up until the other week.

What I am finding is occasionally (every day or so) the PC will crash. The screen becomes kinda blurry/funky/full of garbage and then the PC will reboot. Once the PC reboots, the display shows a set of 7/8 black vertical line spaced together, then a gap with another set of black lines, in total around 5/6 sets.

Basically it looks like I have got a ruler and drawn 7/8 thin lines down the screen, then moved across a bit and done the same again etc.

I then have to boot in safe mode, delete the card from the device manager, reboot into safe mode and install the drivers for those lines to disappear.

The problem has so far happened 5 times, both whilst I was playing a game and also in Windows 7 (64 Bit).

I have checked the temperature of the card and it is very low (mid 50's), and have even had a fan on it to keep it in its 40s, so I dont think the temperature is a problem.

I know the card is old, but it is kind of annoying me because I dont really want to spend money on a new card as if I can solve this issue I will be happy.

Does anyone have any suggestions here, i'm kinda stumped.

Back
Top Bottom