Modem in new operating system

Associate
Hi - just thought I'd see what people thought. Have bought new hard drive due to space issues, and thought I might as well change to Windows 7 as I'd have to reinstall anything...

Now, I've currently got an Alcatel Speedtouch PCI modem - which has always worked really well for me. I don't really want to change to a wireless system particularly, if I can help it, and want to keep it going. Do you think it'll work ok with windows 7? The only drivers which are available are for XP. Is a modem a type of device or program which can be run in XP mode in windows 7 if the XP drivers don't work?

Any thoughts/experiences much appreciated.

J.B

J.B

Soldato
Windows 7 might already have the drivers to install. If not, why not just use a normal modem/router and connect via ethernet?

This. On both counts. Windows 7 has a fairly sizeable driver database anyway but if its not included a router and ethernet cable is a better way of doing it anyway. You get the added security of NAT and the ability to add more devices at a later date if you want to. For the sake of ~£30 for an entry level router I think its worth it.

Soldato
There is always the Upgrade Advisor which will actually tell you if it's likely to work or not. I do agree with J.B however, it's time to leave the dedicated modem behind.

Associate
This. On both counts. Windows 7 has a fairly sizeable driver database anyway but if its not included a router and ethernet cable is a better way of doing it anyway. You get the added security of NAT and the ability to add more devices at a later date if you want to. For the sake of ~£30 for an entry level router I think its worth it.

go with this

i didnt realise people still used built in modems

what are the specs for the rest of your machine?

J.B

J.B

Soldato
i didnt realise people still used built in modems

They never really took off for ADSL. I guess it had something to do with the ISPs wanting to up their sales of broadband packages (going back 10 years here) so they would bundle a modem in with for those who are not capable of buying or installing a PCI card correctly. With things like USB pretty much everywhere back then it probably seemed like a smart move.

I remember looking at an ADSL modem to go in my machine but I cant remember why I didnt get it, possibly a compatability issue with AOL :rolleyes:

I dont think I've ever actually seen an ADSL PCI modem in use.

Associate
OP
Hi - thanks for the thoughts - I'm not really keen on a wireless router, and my adsl pci modem which works at up to 8mb/s is fine for me as that's all plusnet can manage in any case!
Hopefully when I come to put it together it will work, but I was wondering if anyone had the windows 7/speedtouch modem working.

J.B

J.B

Soldato
No one said anything about a wireless router. You can use an ethernet cable to connect it up and disable the wireless element if you wont use it.

Like Memphis said, if you use the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor it will give you a good idea if you can run it under Win7 or not.

Personally Id gladly pay £30 if it meant i could use Windows 7 over any other version of Windows!

Back
Top Bottom